• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Fine Tune CB

Status
Not open for further replies.
ACH MEIN GOTT! I haff bein doink alles dis scheisse falsch!
Gottedammerung it.(sic)
If it is so important on the test bench what about all of the bands we run?
I might have to give up ham radio because I can't afford all of that coax!

Reactions: fourstringburn
Gottedammerung it.(sic)
In my world a single frequency is all that matters, hence the narrow band high q antenna. He caters to truck drivers on a single frequency. Your world and mine never intersect.

Gottedammerung it.(sic)
Think about how much coax you need to hide for your 160 meter mobile antenna!

And what about you Europeans that can run on 600 meters? That's a lot of coax!

:barefoot:I have heard Mark on the airwaves talk about using 1/2 wavelengths of coax to tune antennas. This also goes along with the common CB shop belief all coax cables must be in 3 ft. Increments.

So if I have a 1/2 way dipole antenna cut for 40 meters. The minimum ideal height above ground would be 66 ft. which is a half wave at that frequency. That means according to Mark, if use more than 66 ft. (1/2 wavelength)of coax up the tower, My antenna won't tune properly unless I put my radio directly at the base of the tower because I can't use any more to coax get inside my shack which would be at least another 25 ft.

Then again 11 meters has it's own theory that doesn't apply to Amatuer bands. CaptainKilowatt taught us that.:barefoot:

That's why I use ladder line. ;)

Phase shift on an rf test bench alters the waveform on an oscilloscope.
Well intentioned adjustments based on faulty observations made on a misaligned bench result in less than stellar results.
A tech is only as good as the alignment of his bench. Most are incapable of duplicating a factory tune which is easily provable by making a side by side comparison with a stock radio.

See post 117.

Where is this Mobile gamma match to achieve the perfect 50 ohm mobile install you are alluding to?

You've never saw a mobile antenna fed through a capacitor? There are some cheap mag mounts that do that. It's just not called a gamma match. Gamma match sounds cooler though. I've saw a few amplifiers with gamma matches in them. :whistle:

He implied mobile and base applications were both 50 ohms

Let's say he's talking a 1/4 wave base antenna. Now we're on the same playing field.

Edit:

The 40 meter dipole fed with coax that fourstringburn mentioned is a 50 ohm antenna. Just FYI

Last edited:
In my world a single frequency is all that matters, hence the narrow band high q antenna. He caters to truck drivers on a single frequency. Your world and mine never intersect.
So does that mean radio theories are unique to 11 meters and don't apply to the rest of the radio spectrum?

Sorry to jump on you here but maybe it would be better if you could get Mark on board to educate us on what we might be misinformed on or defend himself whichever the case may be.

Reactions: Unit 194
Here's something you'll never learn on any of the test questions. All technicians in the country except for one subscribe to the theory that cable length means nothing on a test bench. All technicians in the country except for one subscribe to this Theory with nothing to validate it. One technician in this country uses a scientific formula to assemble his test equipment on his bench based upon scientific evidence that it matters which is displayed in this video.

One more question. It's a good one too.

Do you think the different coax lengths (of good 50 ohm coax) would make such a dramatic difference if mark used the proper 50 ohm terminating resistor at the input of his scope?

Why is super tech not properly terminating the feedline going to his test equipment?

If you left it on the spool, that bonus choke coil might add some extra inductance for antenna matching and common mode current reduction!
You mean it would be like that MARS mod I keep hearing about?
How do you know you made the trip, or is it a bounce type of thing.

Come on 'chop. You're still online but aren't doing any splainin'. Call mark and ask him where his terminating resistors are.

All he needs to do is use one like a dummy load and run a good deadkey through it. That will smoke the resistor and he can use it in a video to prove himself right.

Hey that'll work. Then I will have a full wavelength of coax! But I'll have to subtract losses with the barrel connector. Hmm.

But....but....but.....what about the velocity factor of that cable? (n) 66 feet is NOT an electrical half wavelength and that is what we use not a physically measured with a tape measure half wavelength.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.