• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Fire tower

crappykraco

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Aug 6, 2014
Going to be making use of this old fire lookout tower near my home. I can access it with my small truck fairly easily when there isn't snow on the ground. May thru November just about.

It is a 75 foot tower sat on top of a hill roughly 850-900 ft above sea level. On a clear day I can see for 50 miles in just about every direction from the top of the tower.

20141012_103818.jpg

20141012_102702.jpg

20141012_101800.jpg

The only thing that is higher up in the air is this cell tower.

20141012_102405.jpg

I just need to figure out a way to quickly mount an antenna and then take it down when I'm ready to leave.

Reactions: 357magnum

What band you going to operate, if it is cb just a Wilson 5000 mag mount would be good horizontal. If it is ham bands choose 1 band I guess again a mag mount vertical. We have one of those at the state forest near me, you can climb but the inside is locked, You can use a h/t for 2/440 and hit repeaters 75 miles from there at 5 watts.
DOCTOR/795

Back a few years ago the forestry service decommissioned a lot of the fire towers around here and rumor had it that they basically gave them away to some one that could take it down. I've always thought what a interesting shack one of those would have made.

I could easily slap my sirio 5000 on top of the tower, but I was thinking something a little more substantial.

Might have to get creative and make some sort of bracket I could bolt on and take it down when I'm done. Don't mind setup taking a little time... I'd make a day out of it. Maybe hoist something up on a pulley?

It is a great location and I only live down the hill a bit.

Would operate 10/11 and 2 meter.

The plexiglass windows up top all open. So an L shaped bracket bolted the lip with a short section of mast is my first thought.

Another idea use a end fed wire like I do, 10-40, just tie the end off and other end on the rail....
I have 2 of them up and 10-80 on one 46 feet and the other 6-40, 36 feet, with the tuner swr 1 to 1..
DOCTOR/795

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated