• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FIREBIRD 500 / KICKER 500

Swamp Yankee

Feb 15, 2024
Hello All,
I'm in the hunt for a FIREBIRD 500 / KICKER 500. I only ask that it be in good Cosmetic Condition & Working Condition. If anyone has one that they would like to sell or know someone that has one that they might like to sell, please let me know. Depending on the Cosmetic Condition & Working Condition, I'm anywhere between $600 - $1200. I am open for discussion.

Thank You

What I remember about that amplifier was the tendency of power transformers to fail. It had two, one perched on each rear corner. This permitted you to configure it for 240 Volts, but that was the only advantage. Don't know if the problem was the transformers' build quality, but my best guess is that together they were still a bit too small and would fail from being overworked.

I hope you have a radio small enough to properly drive the single-tube driver stage. When this amplifier was designed, a typical tube base radio would bust a gut to deliver a 3 Watt carrier and 14 Watt peaks. Modern radios do twice that or more. A single driver tube won't last long if it's driven at that level.

Best of luck. Kinda like hunting for a clean 1970s muscle car that hasn't been wrecked.

Reactions: BC Coyote

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.