• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

First HF Rig - recommendations?

Highland Ranger

Aug 28, 2005
I am looking to purchase my first HF rig.

Options I am kicking around:

1. Buy a used radio like a Kenwood TS440 - looks like for between $400 and $700 I can get a working specimen of decent condition.

2. Buy a new moderately priced rig like:
- Kenwood TS 2000 ($1500)
- Yaesu FTDX3000 ($2500)
- Yaesu FT950 ($1300)
- ICOM 718 ($750)
- ICOM 7410 ($1800)

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Another thought as I am leaning toward the 440 because of cost - I think these radios were built in the 80s . . . . . any particular issues with them as they age?

I know that depending on type caps can go bad etc. but with regard to this specific radio - how has it aged?

$400 is tops for a TS 440AT(w/tuner)...and only from someone you know and trust...They can have a multitude of issues...
I had 2...one was JUNK from day one...4/5 trips to Kenwood...sold it for parts (had $1000 invested)...Second one was ok spent $375(10 years ago)...

YAESU FT-950...Excellent rig...mine almost 4 years old...best buy in Ham radio!

FTdx3000 Nice!...but really a FT-950 with a "Tricked-out" display...

Never liked IC UM's...but heard some nice sounding ones...
(to me always overpriced)....

Ts-2000 Kenwood nice...but a rather dead receiver on HF...much better on 6m and VHF/UHF....top dollar used $1K in like new condition

My $.02 worth
All the Best
Gary

If purchasing a new rig in the price ranges you indicated is a serious option....I would do it. I would also take a hard look at either the Elecraft K3 or KX3. Their radios pack a ton of features with the best RX on the market. They should definitely be in your evaluation list if you're willing to go over the $1000 price point.

Thanks for the replies. Hmm at the 718's price point TS440 doesn't look so good.

M42 - why do you say to run away - experienced quality issues?

Yaesu 950 - - - One of the eHam reviews mentioned that the 950 should not be purchased without the DMU which is a significant adder like $1000 - anyone use it without or with for that matter and can comment.

I've had a few 718's. I bought one new when it hit the market. I had an IC-707 before that. It's just a basic starter rig. AF DSP is not all that impressive. The addition of "needed" CW/SSB filters put it in a higher price range equal to better rigs. Fixed AGC becomes painful to listen to after a few minutes. There is a mod that helps it though.

It is a decent 100% duty cycle radio if you can get one used for under $325. If you bought one you'll only be looking for something better. I've owned the FT-950 as well, but wasn't to impressed with it. I tend to gravitate towards simple rigs with decent filtering. I mostly operate CW. The TS-590 is my favorite radio now.

I used an ICOM 7410 @ field day. Like most ICOM's it was easy to figure out. I really liked it, but not enough to spend the extra $$$ over what I currently have.

If I had your budget, I would look at the Elecraft or a Flex 3000 or higher.

I also wouldn't hesitate to buy a known nice condition, TS-450 with all open slots filled and spend the rest on some good antenna choices.

That's just me... I can roll either way.

I'm just not a "new" Yaesu guy anymore. Crazy ass Rubik's cube menu crap. Although, if you know what your doing, a FT-950 can have some nice transmit audio.

FT-950 is no good without the DMU....BULL!!!!...overprised logging program and fancy screen....
I've never seen the need for the DMU...Nice-Pretty...but radio is not functional without it!...Horse Hockey!!!!!!

Never had the DMU hooked to my rig...also had Ham Radio Deluxe...took it off...
Now I will say this:
If you enjoy 75 and 40 meters and use it a bunch...The MTU 80/40 is a super add-on option (this is a mechanical out board RX filter)....
Once you understand how to use it....I think it's excellent...
Some don't...but noisy or crowded conditions...works very well...
I ran my FT-950 for 3 years plus without one, finally found one used at a Hamfest for $275 and snatched it up(I think $700 new is a bit much)...
I will buy the 30/20m version when I find one for the right price.

Ask many members here about my FT-950 and who I work and the quality of the transmit audio....I think you will hear it sounds pretty damn nice...and ask under lousy conditions if I can hear....it's a damn nice receiver....

All the fancy "World Class" receivers may sound a little better....
All the High priced receiving specs mean squat on the bench....put the rig on the air....that's separates the "Bench" superstars from the real receivers quickly...
I'm on a rant here....but I get a little miffed at some of these reveiws....
All the Best
Gary

I will second what BJ posted.

I have QSO with BJ several times on 80 meters.

Noisy conditions, winter storm in his QTH and I am running 100 watts.

Other ops in New England could not pull me out of the noise but BJ could hear me enough to have a QSO. speaks for itself if you can get your hands on a FT-950, you will enjoy it.

I have the TS440sat, two of them on the bench in the shop.

I bought one at Orlando hamfest few years back.$275, guaranteed no issues. Yah right. Many issues, got it running correctly and it is OK. Nothing to brag about, Good JT65 rig if you are into to digi modes.

Had an Icom 706MKII, it is just ok. Sat in the box more than on the bench.

I have an Kenwood FT-450. Nice rig, good receive, I can not find any thing bad to say about it. I like it. hooked to the AL80B sure packs a punch.

Had an FT-1000, did not like the receive. the FT-102 ran circles around it.

Now no one has mentioned ten tec, they are worth looking at, great rigs, made in USA and the ten tec company will support any of their equipment no matter how old it is.

Take your time, get what rig you like and have fun.

Thanks again guys - re DMU - yes, spent some time looking at the manual, I don't see $1000 worth of value there.

RE Flex - didn't even think of that, interesting.

Ahhhhh - choices choices

ft857d any good??

I just bought one for the mobile, plus the Collins 2.9KHz SSB filter and I like it. The DTMF mic is worth it, and sounds A LOT better!
I couldn't stand the RX on the 718.

Another oldie but goodie to consider is an icom 751A - make certain it's an A! A real solid rock of a radio needing only minor updates to last another 20 years. One of the best receivers ever made.
Gotta love that big clear analog s-meter!

Looking at the ICOM 7000. With the mars and tvro mod could also double as a great emergency radio as it covers gmrs/FRS, marine vhf freqs and even ems bands.

Is there a base version of this radio available?

Is there any other radio made with this kind of coverage?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I have not operated any of the rigs you listed. But I have played on a Kenwood TS-590 last year at Field Day. Since then 2 of my friends have bought one and I have worked contacts on both of their rigs. I really liked the TS-590.

I also really like the K3. I have used one the last couple years a field day as well. Great rigs. and hear very well too.

Both those 2 rigs worked good for our club on field day no problems for us at all.

I have operated several used ten tec models. I love them and own a couple old ones, Tritan IV and a Corsair I. I would not recommend these 2 rigs or any rig this old for a starter rig unless your elmer put you on to a good one. But they do make some great rigs the hear very well. My next new rig will definately be a ten tec

My Main rig is a TS-440s/at. I use it almost every day. But I bought mine from my elmer. He bought it new in 1988. So far I have not had any of the problems that arise in these rigs but they can be troublesome.

kj4unx

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.