• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

First post and new Galaxy DX-979

Personally, I really like the dx-979.. always get good reports on transmit and has the best receive of any of the radios I currently own as it just seems to filter out a lot of the background noise that the others don't as well as maintaining good audio receive quality. CBtricks.com has a lot of useful information... two of the adjustments you may want to consider are the low and hi AM power adjustments...I set the low to just under 2 watts- to use a small amp, and 4 watts for high power (on channel 19). Personally, I can't see maxing out the high power as it's more likely just going to burn out the radio prematurely. If you are going to go over 4 watts to me it just makes more sense to get an amp... (and btw cbradiomagazine gave a good review of the Radio Shack meter) Cheers!
Galaxy Radios DX979 Service Manual

Is the radio shack SWR meter set to PEP OR AVG?

6 watts AVG could be right for an out of the box single final radio that's detuned from the factory.

If you've been reading in AVG flip it to PEP, maybe it will make you feel a little better.

Either way, turn up the AMC pot all the way (yes, anyone can do this safely) and you'll at least be getting across the street with your stock mic.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.