• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

First post...Questions about a cobra 29...

SAVAGESAM

Apr 16, 2007
Merced, CA.
Hi everyone. I have a newer model cobra 29 NW/ST/WX I have heard on other forums that this is NOT the model to get and was wondering why? So far I have not had one bad comment from those that I've talked to. T.I.A.

BIONIC_TEXAN88 said:
its because most people think the sound tracker is crap. just turn it off and you got a regular 29.
thanks for clearing that up. you can still do the same mods on the final. nothin wrong with the nw/st. infact its kind of nice with the extra lights i have a 25 the same way and it smokes on the audio.

DTB Radio said:
Exactly. The 29 you have can have just about all of the same mods done as any other 29. Some of those mod are stupid, but there are a number of good ones should you wish to go that route.
Will you point me in that direction (link) ? Also would you give me a list or maybe two or three mods that aren't stupid and actuallly provide a benefit? T.I.A.

SAVAGESAM said:
DTB Radio said:
Exactly. The 29 you have can have just about all of the same mods done as any other 29. Some of those mod are stupid, but there are a number of good ones should you wish to go that route.
Will you point me in that direction (link) ? Also would you give me a list or maybe two or three mods that aren't stupid and actuallly provide a benefit? T.I.A.

check out dtb's site, it has a section on mods for the 29.

With the soundcrapper feature off you can get buy but guys come on, I can't believe you would say it's the exact same radio as an older Philly 29. The ST models are just not built as well as the older radio's, and they don't quite tune up as well or respond to some mods like the older better version.
SAVAGESAM, with a simple peak and tune you will be fine.

BT & DTB, if I had a new in the box Philly 29 for sale for say 100 bucks, and a new soundcrapper new for 75 and listed both here on the forum the Philly would be gone.....and I would be luckey to even sell the soundcrapper at a reduced price. It's already been done here on the forum several times.

The sound tracker feature can be removed and the
radio aligned on rx. Mods can be done for TX just
as a 29. However this radio is not built for flip in my
opinion.

Butcher318 said:
With the soundcrapper feature off you can get buy but guys come on, I can't believe you would say it's the exact same radio as an older Philly 29. The ST models are just not built as well as the older radio's, and they don't quite tune up as well or respond to some mods like the older better version.
SAVAGESAM, with a simple peak and tune you will be fine.

BT & DTB, if I had a new in the box Philly 29 for sale for say 100 bucks, and a new soundcrapper new for 75 and listed both here on the forum the Philly would be gone.....and I would be luckey to even sell the soundcrapper at a reduced price. It's already been done here on the forum several times.

I dont think anyone mentioned the comparison of the new ones to the older phillys. As far as the opening comment made, my remarks were made based on the choices of new 29's, soundtracker or classic, there is no difference to the mods on the newer ones.

I know the philly's are great, I have had a few, but the china ones arent completely junk and I get about 22-24 pep out of them with great audio reports with a simple p&t.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    C'mon let me take you on a Sea Cruise! (Maybe there is someone to talk to out there?)
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Just for the Halibut.
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Seems to be dead on the radio lately. I don't know if the conditions are horrible, or more likely my weak antennas. I may head up in the mountains on Wednesday and see if reception / transmission is improved.