• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

fl2100b amp questions

Cold War Vet

KI7RPM
Aug 30, 2017
tucson az
hey all i have a couple of questions
i have a chance to get a yaesu fl2100 b my question is this
i know its designed to work with yaesu radios using the interconnect cables
since i run a Kenwood TS-120S how can i make them mesh and work correctly ?
is it worth my trouble or should i look at something different ?
any ideas comments

CWV google the FL2100. a lot of infor pros and cons on that amp.
I have owned one, and sold one.
IMO the SB 200 is much better than the FL2100 but that is my opinion.

I have a FL-2100B amp paired up with a Yaesu Ft101EE and it works well even with the original Cetron 572b tubes. It does not appear to me to be designed as a AM power house; more of an SSB amp I would say.

On AM, I safely set it for about 100w-125w carrier and see 350-450w+ PEP. I'm sure it will do more, but I like to leave some headroom in there. Probably why the tubes have lasted so long and I get such good AM audio reports from it. Defeating the ALC for AM mode helps the modulation (simply leave the ALC wire disconnected on the amp) Reconnect the ALC wire for SSB use. Running it on 240VAC is better than 120VAC...less voltage sag. An additional cooling fan set on top keep things a lot cooler.

Good news is that RF Parts now sells a reliable 572b replacement tube so you should be good to go even if the tubes in the amp you get are soft. Enjoy.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
hey all i have a couple of questions
i have a chance to get a yaesu fl2100 b my question is this
i know its designed to work with yaesu radios using the interconnect cables
since i run a Kenwood TS-120S how can i make them mesh and work correctly ?
is it worth my trouble or should i look at something different ?
any ideas comments

If your Kenwood has ALC and KEY output/input connections and at least 25/50W key down carrier output from Kenwood to enable tuning Amp to 400W key down no more than 10 seconds, then there would be no problem.
Make sure you run FL2100 on filaments only for 24 hours prior to puting into service to stop destroying PA tubes due to flashing over. Check band switch if burnt, door knob capacitors at rear (if burnt replace) etc etc.
have fun 73s

Last edited:
Reactions: Woody-202
If your Kenwood has ALC and KEY output/input connections and at least 25/50W key down carrier output from Kenwood to enable tuning Amp to 400W key down no more than 10 seconds, then there would be no problem.
Make sure you run FL2100 on filaments only for 24 hours prior to puting into service to stop destroying PA tubes due to flashing over. Check band switch if burnt, door knob capacitors at rear (if burnt replace) etc etc.
have fun 73s
Welcome!

Hello All: Yeah that's a big Ten-4 on what BBB said, a muffin fan on top the amp just above the tubes is a big help. Thanks for tip on the 572B tubes at RF Parts.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert.... Only 150 miles to the next fillin station

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.