• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Flamethrower Galaxy 959

I assume your truck is virtually identical to this one and this is the best installation I've seen yet. If it was me I would just purchase one of those cheap oil filled antennas and stick a 3' or 4' shaft underneath it.

Peterbilt 579
Not Kenworth as in pic.

If I had one of those 680 models, I’d be set. The factory antenna mount built into the top of the mirror arm works well.

The Pete factory antenna mounts are above the doors on the sides of the cab.

Met up with a friend of mine recently and we put a set of (7’) KW7B FIRESTIK antennas onto his KW-680. SWR came in fine.

Parked between two other reefers with his drybox behind him, I departed the truckstop next morning in the direction opposite his (as parked).

He was sounding good for the 3.0-miles I went north until I made a turn to the east. (He was on a new 29 Classic, untouched). I had to kick the 203p behind the 980 on at about the two mile mark for him to hear me the next mile or so till that turn.

Height is Might.

Wow good thread. I prefer to stay humble. I work 12 hours, go home and grab a beer. I then turn on my Washington radio, Spin the dial and see what on. I may shout out and see who's got a copy. Hey I get heard and that's cool. When I hear nothing I turn It OFF.
I can say ignorance can be a blessing. Life is way too short. By the way I have a very Small penis. Who gives a F@#%. If my radio breaks I'll throw it away or send it to one of a million great tech's Or maybe one named Matt. It has a lot to do with honesty as well as ability. So I rant a bit. got to get back to work..............MM

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/eld/5298575323.html

He contradicts himself between his ad and his statement of .22uv noise floor.
Here is .125 uv noise floor which he thinks can't be done.

Watch "-125db" on YouTube

I have 959 that I bought back in 2007. I never heard it called a "Flamethrower"
I never had any kind of mod done to it either. I didn't have to. I ran it through a Maco 5/8 antenna and sometimes with a Palomar 700. My power supply was lacking so I could never get the full potential out of the amp at that time. But the radio seriously got out. Even without the amp. I did have elevation over most of the valley floor, plus I had the antenna on a 10 foot pole on a 2 story house. So I was loving it. I'm getting ready to run it again. I have all of the equipment to get it going except a desk for the base station set up. Trying out a different antenna also. A Zerofive 5/8 wave antenna with M&P broad pro 50 cable. I wont have the advantage I had when I had the Maco on a 2 story house. But I know that I will be pleasantly surprised once I get it going. I miss the radio. And I am looking forward to getting back on it. You all take care now. 73's
Buzzman737, and I'm back out.

I never had any kind of mod done to it either. I didn't have to. I ran it through a Maco 5/8 antenna and sometimes with a Palomar 700. My power supply was lacking so I could never get the full potential out of the amp at that time. But the radio seriously got out. Even without the amp. I did have elevation over most of the valley floor, plus I had the antenna on a 10 foot pole on a 2 story house. So I was loving it. I'm getting ready to run it again. I have all of the equipment to get it going except a desk for the base station set up. Trying out a different antenna also. A Zerofive 5/8 wave antenna with M&P broad pro 50 cable. I wont have the advantage I had when I had the Maco on a 2 story house. But I know that I will be pleasantly surprised once I get it going. I miss the radio. And I am looking forward to getting back on it. You all take care now. 73's
Welcome back to the dx club and welcome to the forum.
I remember those supposed "flamethrower" 959's and believe they were packed full of snake oil gimmicks. Just another version of the super whack pack from radioactive radios at that time and a lot of us remember that whole scheme. I actually once sent that guy a message asking where exactly the flames come out of but never got an answer.... go figure...
A properly tuned rig and good antler is all you need to work the world but of course a little POWA behind it will help the chances of being heard.

Happy DX'in to you from the Lonestar State.

The Flamethrower name is just something this E-Bay store tech created to make people think his "tuned/modded" radio's are better.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.