• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

for lack of a better place to......

1. what exactly are the qualifications to become a moderator here?
is it based upon the owner's personal opinion of the proposed mod?
is there a certain amount of time or a certain number of posts that qualify someone?
does one just have to ask?

Basically, yes, just ask and tell us why you want to do it and if the need is there, we do it.

2. is there any sort of public notice given as to when the forum might be looking for another moderator?

Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't, it just depends on the need.

3. did Robb's status as a moderator here have anything to do with his ability to obtain free equipment for review?
the timing of the two might seem to some to be more than just a coincidence.

Nope, the review was an idea of the admin/mods. We volunteered to make our own calls. Rob was NOT the only one that received equipment for review.

4. Moleculo, why do you not do more reviews of equipment?
is it because it might conflict with the perceived objectiveness that goes along with moderator status?
(these are serious questions, not veiled sarcasm)

Mole does SEVERAL reviews, do an advanced search, you can view them.

i believe that if the answers to these questions were made public; it might allow this subject to be put to bed once and for all.
LC

We watch the traffic closely here, we see what draws the most and try to keep it coming. Reviews and Techy articles pull in the most. We have done reviews on our own equipment, people like it so we looked for ways to keep fresh equipment reviews.

We just want to have the best forum, if reviews are not the way, fine, we can do something else. The feedback from all of you is what drives what we do. Give us ideas????????

I still say the problem isn't that the forum is featuring reviews. I don't even think the free equipment being kept by the reviewer is the problem, as long as it is disclosed.

The specific problem with Robb and the reviews has to do with his behavior in the posts that FOLLOW the review. That's when the line gets crossed. That's when he starts with the false and misleading info, the Sam Lewis fed mumbo-jumbo (Sam, why the hell can't you just be honest?!) the passive agressive, bullying threats, the "my locals like it" thing, the ridiculous test parameters (comparing beams to beams at OTHER locations, and trying to draw ANY meaningful conclusions), the claims that anyone who disputes his clearly false info is just doing it because they don't like exports, or that they are just jealous, or ignorant, or whatever.

It goes on and on. If you go 4, 5, or 6 pages of responses SLAVISHLY DEFENDING and ADVOCATING for the radio/company/owner after the "review", it isn't a "review" anymore, and everyone with half a brain can clearly see that.

All of that would still be OK if he were just another member, and could not use moderator authority to bully his dissenters. That's why his game doesn't work so well here---unlike Lon at Copper, he can't control what gets posted here as fully as Lon could.

If he were just another member, there wouldn't be the implication that what he posts and says have some implicit authority or validity.

I do NOT think that technical prowess should be required of moderators. A little humility and self-awareness might be a good thing, though. And knowing when to say "I don't know" instead of just making it up, or repeating the marketing info being fed to you by a Sam Lewis, or whoever.

Reactions: MisterFatty
Let me also say this---this forum has always been one of the better ones on the 'net. I left for a while when a previous owner was begging for money all the time.

Since that person left, this forum has just gotten better, and better.

Since Moleculo took charge, it has gotten WAY better. I know Hamer and other people have helped with the improvements too, and I know a lot of work and money goes into it, and I think you guys are very good at what you do.

Trying to find the right amount of moderation/tolerance to keep things vital, but not out of control, sounds like a monumental task. I don't envy that at all. In general, you guys have pretty much let it roll, and been VERY patient with some people, perhaps to a fault. (I should have probably been banned a few years ago for my behavior in the politics section, for example.) In general, though, you have really nailed it, IMO.

It is in this context that so many are alarmed at the recent events. Something is wrong. We used to always count on you guys to get it right, and it just seems like you are jumping the shark by letting this continue. You seem to have come up with a decision that might not be a bad idea, but it does not address the actual problem.

It is in this context that so many are alarmed at the recent events. Something is wrong. We used to always count on you guys to get it right, and it just seems like you are jumping the shark by letting this continue. You seem to have come up with a decision that might not be a bad idea, but it does not address the actual problem.

I'm tired of sitting back and watching this unfold. It is my opinion that EVERYONE should just step back, shut up, and watch what happens in the future. In other words give things a chance to settle out in the manner that has been chosen and THEN see if it is actually any better rather than keep beating this topic to death.Decisions have been made and rules set in place. Give them a chance to work for you.

We now return you to your previously scheduled rant fest. :whistle:

We just want to have the best forum, if reviews are not the way, fine, we can do something else. The feedback from all of you is what drives what we do. Give us ideas????????

Now this bothers me.

HH the forum HAS been given many good ideas from several different members in just the year + that I have been here. They mostly get ignored and not responded to at all.

You admins clearly are not all on the same page. You say different things from personal viewpoints and end up contradicting yourselves. A ship cannot have more than one captain.

And then here is more typical beatdowns from admin KilldeBuzz above: "Shut up and sit back."

That's really helpful.

No - this place has a long way to go. And that is sad. This forum moderating thing is NOT hard to do. Especially with benign subject matter like inanimate electronics.

I'm tired of sitting back and watching this unfold. It is my opinion that EVERYONE should just step back, shut up, and watch what happens in the future. In other words give things a chance to settle out in the manner that has been chosen and THEN see if it is actually any better rather than keep beating this topic to death.Decisions have been made and rules set in place. Give them a chance to work for you.

We now return you to your previously scheduled rant fest. :whistle:

Point well taken. I'll go forth and consider myself chastised :redface:

"I'm repressed, I'm repressed!"

---Peasant Number One, "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"

"You guys have the right to disagree with his content, but sometimes you do it in a way that baits people into a responding poorly. And then because he's a moderater, you play the "moderator should know better" card. What you are doing is called trolling. Disagree, but don't troll. Oh yeah, and BootyMonster is walking a thin line on the trolling, also."

"you do it in a way that baits people into a responding poorly"

isnt robb doing that in his reviews using so many absolute superlatives ? he should know the very knowledgeable folks on this forum (which i am not one of them) are not gonna just let it go unchecked .

I don't understand the continued crying. Action was taken, things are good.

Oh and as for bashing the admin/mods here, we should all be thankful that we have the people we do. I was once a mod on another forum, I wasn't worth a shit at it. These guys are professionals.

i have purposely waited to weigh in on this thread.
1. what exactly are the qualifications to become a moderator here?
is it based upon the owner's personal opinion of the proposed mod?
is there a certain amount of time or a certain number of posts that qualify someone?
does one just have to ask?

2. is there any sort of public notice given as to when the forum might be looking for another moderator?

3. did Robb's status as a moderator here have anything to do with his ability to obtain free equipment for review?
the timing of the two might seem to some to be more than just a coincidence.

4. Moleculo, why do you not do more reviews of equipment?
is it because it might conflict with the perceived objectiveness that goes along with moderator status?
(these are serious questions, not veiled sarcasm)

i believe that if the answers to these questions were made public; it might allow this subject to be put to bed once and for all.
LC

Fair enough questions...Hamer answered it a bit and I'll go a little further.

1. There isn't a strict list of qualifications. Most of the moderators have been so from nearly the very beginning of the site. Occasionally we add/remove them depending on their activity level - people come and go. When I feel like we could use another, I will often look for someone that is active very often, has a high participation level, is trying their best to help others and contribute in some way to the site. Ultimately, it can be a huge time commitment and we also need people in various time zones that can make sure everything is working properly at various times of the day. Originally, I asked Robb to help moderate the CB sections because I noticed that he was on the site practically 24/7 and was also doing his best to help people with questions in those sections. Most of the other moderators that we have focus more on the Ham side of radio, so I thought that would help out those sections a little. With a few exceptions, it has generally worked.

2. Not usually. We usually aren't "looking" and most people really don't want the job. Trust me.

3. You would have to ask Robb that question, but I'm sure it probably didn't hurt. This particular, repeated question is specifically why portions of the Moderator Equipment Review guidelines were adopted.

4. I would do more if I could. They take an incredible amount of time to do well and there is only so much time in the day. Budget is also a limiting factor. It's very rare that I'm able to secure anything from a manufacturer for free to review, so I typically have to fund the reviews by the site advertising revenue and selling something else I purchased to review. I try to focus the ones I do on Ham Radio, where more of my personal interests are. I currently have two reviews that I'm working on - the Icom IC-7000 I obtained and the Wouxun KG-UVD1P I purchased. Ameritron has agreed to loan me a ALS-1300 to write an article about, so that will hopefully be published in the near future. If I'm ever able to secure better site advertisers, those funds would go directly in the site, especially in the area of review articles.

Hope that answers your questions.

Just an observation and not a personal attack Tim, how many mod/admins here hold an amateur license?

If I had a vote I vote for Bob85 as mod/admin.

Just an observation and not a personal attack Tim, how many mod/admins here hold an amateur license?

If I had a vote I vote for Bob85 as mod/admin.

Most I believe. Peddler does not have an amateur license. Many of the admins/mods did not have a license when they originally got the job, though. I did ask Bob85 at one point and he declined. Like I said, most people really don't want the job.

Now this bothers me.

HH the forum HAS been given many good ideas from several different members in just the year + that I have been here. They mostly get ignored and not responded to at all.

You admins clearly are not all on the same page. You say different things from personal viewpoints and end up contradicting yourselves. A ship cannot have more than one captain.

And then here is more typical beatdowns from admin KilldeBuzz above: "Shut up and sit back."

That's really helpful.

No - this place has a long way to go. And that is sad. This forum moderating thing is NOT hard to do. Especially with benign subject matter like inanimate electronics.

You just can't stop with the names can you? That was not a beatdown and anyone with any sense could see that it was a common sense approach.

OK That was a beatdown but you deserved it for the name calling. :love:

Like I said that was MY opinion that people should STEP back and STOP the bickering long enough to see if things are going to work out. Sorry if I upset you and hurt your feelings by saying "shut up" instead of "be quiet" or "calm down".

I don't understand the continued crying. Action was taken, things are good.

Oh and as for bashing the admin/mods here, we should all be thankful that we have the people we do. I was once a mod on another forum, I wasn't worth a shit at it. These guys are professionals.

Who just came by and shoved a whole bottle of happy pills down your throat? You've been complainer #1 for centuries. Now everything is great with you ??

Only goes to show that even some of us lowly members can contradict themselves.

WHATEVER PEOPLE !! Really do nothing and keep the same staff. Heck give them a raise and 3 extra smoke breaks a day. The members who refuse to buy these no-actions and half-fixes can always vote with their feet.

Mo if you want to resolve the "Robb issue" then I suggest that you start a poll in an Open Forum and ask the members for an up or down vote. Let it run a full 30 days to let most of the current membership see it and vote. Let it take a 75% or more approval to remain as a mod.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.