• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

For the DX guys . . . vertical or horizontal wire ??

Horizontal is the way to go for DX'ing. As mentioned earlier man made noise is mostly vertically polarized. Once the signal bounces the polarization ia pretty much ambiguous.
If for no other reason less receive noise.

Reactions: binrat and sp5it
I agree with Tallman...90% of the time you will find Horizontal a better choice.
Again noise reduction factor is key. However due to signal bending when reflected back down, you can hear signals in both polarities. I have even heard locals many times use Horizontal. Rag chew groups, locals will use vertical to keep from spinning the beams between stations,
Good choices "Flat" top dipoles or Squalo's (horizontal loops) do very well. Height makes might and squalo's make a excellent choice as they tend to be more "omni" than a dipole, plus work well even at lower heights.
Dipoles are inexpensive and easy to build, so a pair say one East/West and another North/South with a antenna switch give you the ability see which direction the signal is best.
Also "Sloper" type dipoles offer some interesting options when able to switch between them to peak a signal.

ham-radio-hf-antenna-sloper.gif

Again positioning them different directions around a mast or supported by trees etc.
All the Best
Gary

onewavehorzloop.GIF

I have heard that vertical antennas are good for ground wave and horizontal is good for sky wave but maybe just a wives tale.

SM, the"wives tale" part is the reference to "ground wave".
what most people call ground wave is really DIRECT wave propagation.

real ground wave is very short, usually not even extending to the visible horizon, depending on the band used.

SM, the"wives tale" part is the reference to "ground wave".
what most people call ground wave is really DIRECT wave propagation.

real ground wave is very short, usually not even extending to the visible horizon, depending on the band used.

Indeed. TRUE ground wave is barely existent above 3 MHz. Probably 99.999% of the people misuse that term.

is there a way to be horizontal and vertical at the same time? best of both worlds.
Copper has a circular phasing harness to turn horizontal / vertical beams to circular polarization. I am not sure if it would reduce the effective radiated power? If the receiving station was only horizontal or only vertical, then they would only get half of the power you are transmitting.
https://www.copperelectronics.com/c...ntenna-Accessories/CPH-1-Polarization-Harness

Copper has a circular phasing harness to turn horizontal / vertical beams to circular polarization. I am not sure if it would reduce the effective radiated power? If the receiving station was only horizontal or only vertical, then they would only get half of the power you are transmitting.
https://www.copperelectronics.com/c...ntenna-Accessories/CPH-1-Polarization-Harness

It cuts the power delivered to each polarity by 3 dB however the advantages of greatly reduced fading due to polarity shift is GREATLY reduced.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Yes, Circular polarization which is both. Circular polarization is what television use to broadcast on.
https://www.worldwidedx.com/attachments/ezo-jpg.28040/

That's not circular polarity. That is like a quad but with circular elements which according to theory raises the efficiency a tiny bit by using the geometric shape that covers the most area. It is still vertical or horizontal depending on where the feed point is located. Similar yagis are used on UHF and above and are called loop yagis or ring yagis.

That's not circular polarity. That is like a quad but with circular elements which according to theory raises the efficiency a tiny bit by using the geometric shape that covers the most area. It is still vertical or horizontal depending on where the feed point is located. Similar yagis are used on UHF and above and are called loop yagis or ring yagis.
So it is Hula Hoop storage.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.