• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FRANKENSTEIN CREATION?

My ex-XYL used to have one of theses - a little cumbersome for Mobile use but was a Hybrid-ized PLL (002A I believe) to Transistor to Tube ...

View attachment 25014

Many of you should know this radio - it had used technology from three different generations...

You can find it here...
We sold a lot of green ones back in the day, the 23ch predecessor to the yellow. A word of caution if you ever obtain one of these or one of the many similar clones: Never try plugging the octal socket into the back of the radio while the other end of the cord is still plugged into the AC outlet. The pins are capable of accidentally touching the wrong contacts even without the key post being fully engaged. It doesn’t matter if the radio is turned off. It will still result in extensive damage that’s usually beyond any reasonable repair cost.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
My ex-XYL used to have one of theses - a little cumbersome for Mobile use but was a Hybrid-ized PLL (002A I believe) to Transistor to Tube ...

View attachment 25014

Many of you should know this radio - it had used technology from three different generations...

You can find it here...
Oh man, look what you made me just do. Found one on eBay and the next thing you know, I clicked the button.....

s-l64 (2).jpg

Comes with a D104 he says it works as it should and gives his call sign at the end of the listing so I figured tis worth a shot. Now I just have to figure out where to put it.

Looks like I'll have to put in a disclaimer...

Not Responsible For Articles OF Clothing Left In Your Room....

Nah, too personal...

Not Responsible For Itchy Fingers While Surfing eBay listings....

Nah, too specific...

Not Responsible For Any Purchases Caused By Nostalgia, Old Memories, Good Times, Or Long Lost Friends...

Oh man, look what you made me just do. Found one on eBay and the next thing you know, I clicked the button.....

View attachment 25026

Comes with a D104 he says it works as it should and gives his call sign at the end of the listing so I figured tis worth a shot. Now I just have to figure out where to put it.
Using an amplified D-104 with those radios was the most common setup. I think you will like the clean audio you will get with that combo as long as nobody has poked their fingers inside that mic and dented the element. I was also common practice to replace the 6BQ5 final with a 7189 tube. The 7189’s plate voltage limit spec is 100v higher making it a little more durable. It was the go to solution for those that were always toasting their 6BQ5’s. Unfortunately these tubes are expensive. If you’re interested in frequency expansion, look at Secret CB Volume 13, page 63.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Disclaimer:

I would never arbitrarily rip the guts out of a even remotely salvageable classic such as the SX-28 or any of that generation. I would put the recoverable parts in the hands of those that would put them to best use at the very least. It would have to be a drop kicked, cremated, rusted, remains of a classic for me to even consider such debauchery.

With that said :whistle:

1024px-US_Navy_RBY-1.jpg

Imagine what you could do with all those knobs dials and meters! Plus a bandscope/panadapter ??!! It may be advisable to just start from scratch and make it appear like a classic rather than go looking for a donor faceplate and chassis. For one these things are heavy, heavy even without the original tube iron. Rather than consume the finite supply of original knobs and meters find reproduction or just old skool kool knobs and meters. Have an engraver phony up a service tag(s) in the style of the SX-28 with your name and date along with a reference to the actual board number used.

You would be the only one able to use the thing or even understand it . Have fun with the calibration of a vernier dial :ROFLMAO:

Look, It's been a dream of mine to go back and saturate a MB8719 or uPD858 board and do this but if any of you are nutz enough to try it before I get there I will help up to and including help with parts procurement, metal work for a chassis, and hours on the phone insulting our collective (or subtractive) intelligence.

Just a thought

Reactions: sunbulls and Dmans
Wired a microphone to my cheap TR-296 err Cobra 148GTL today. Seems like a TURD. Needs some LOVE first before sinking it into the Regency case.

Oh well. Nothing worth having comes for free! Restoring the 296 first......................

73's
David

There’s nothing better than having a restored cathedral radio. Everything kept original except for better resistors and caps. The next best thing is replacing the entire guts when there’s no other practical solution, but that’s rare. What I dislike the most is seeing all the Chinese reproductions of this classic design. Unlike most fake antiquities, you can easily spot these from across the room. Are you kidding me? It looks like that one has a CD player. I won’t even approach one out of curiosity. I usually look away in disgust as these represent a real assault on radios history.

sunbulls,
Agreed.
Unfortunately if this was an "Original" 148GTL I would have much more than $25.00 into it and be more than hesitant about swapping it into a classis chassis like the Regency Range Gain.
Just visited the neighbor that "gifted" the Regency to me. He was sitting in his 1955 Chevrolet truck with the 2005 Tahoe drive train in it-A/C, cruise control and all. Outside the truck still sports the original paint (though somewhat faded) but is still a classic. Another inspiration for this endeavor!

73's
David

Reactions: Riverman

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.