• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Front end overload?

Blackcat630

Apr 2, 2013
Central Illinois
So a little background... I recently (finally) completed my tower project. On my mast at about 58 ft I have a 13b2 horizontally configured for ssb work. I feed this with a Kenwood ts2000 (100w) and no amplifier. Mounted on a stand off I run a comet tri band vertical. The base is about 36 ft. I have this connected to a 50 w dual band mobile. I like to rag chew with some guys on 146.520..sometimes at 50 watts do to the fact some are 50-70 miles out. If I have the ts2000 monitoring at 144.200 will I overload or damage the receiver? Also if I attempt contact on ssb with 100 watts on ts 2k will I overload my dual bander? With a little over 2 mhz of separation is this something to be concerned about especially with both antennas within a close proximity?

Only trying will let you know 100% however IMHO I say YES. It will overload the front end of either radio. There may be 2 MHz freq. separation however the front ends of both radios are MUCH wider than that and either radio will desense while the other is in operation. Personally I myself would be uncomfortable doing it.

Only trying will let you know 100% however IMHO I say YES. It will overload the front end of either radio. There may be 2 MHz freq. separation however the front ends of both radios are MUCH wider than that and either radio will desense while the other is in operation. Personally I myself would be uncomfortable doing it.
Yup kinda uncomfortable is how I feel about trying it. During the vhf contest this weekend I just shut off the vhf side of the dual bander when calling ssb. I also changed bands on the kenwood when talking to my locals on fm. Tried to convince them to go 220 or uhf but one guy doesn't have the capability yet. Guess I made the right choice by killing one or the other and will continue to do so. Thanks ck

Reactions: 222DBFL
Hey Black cat,dont mean to hijack the thread but do you do any 11 meter?If so and given your location an mine,maybe we'll meet up on the air.

Hey Black cat,dont mean to hijack the thread but do you do any 11 meter?If so and given your location an mine,maybe we'll meet up on the air.
I do occasionally visit 11m. It's my roots and I have a soft spot for it. We have a group on ch1 in the mornings and also a late night group on 22. I also like to do some ssb although not much ssb activity on 11 around me...

Thanks and good luck with your extra also.Ive got the radios just need to get on vhf.Hopefully there's action there since there hasn't been much on 11 meters for me lately

I use a ts 2000, and set up the sub for my fm simplex stuff with the main on vhf ssb, or hf. If your wanting to monitor vhf fm, ssb and hf all together I would add another hf rig. There has been two front end failures locally. both from other transmitters in close proximity.

I use a ts 2000, and set up the sub for my fm simplex the main on vhf ssb, or hf. If your wanting to monitor vhf fm, ssb and hf all together I would add another hf rig. There has been two front end failures locally. both from other transmitters in close proximity.
I don't see how the addition of another hf rig would solve my dilemma. Antennas are still on the same tower. Only solution I can figure would be a set of tunning cans or cavities. This seems like quit an expense and a big undertaking for such a simple problem. I think I will just run one or the other but not at the same time. Thanks for the replies guys..

I don't see how the addition of another hf rig would solve my dilemma. Antennas are still on the same tower. Only solution I can figure would be a set of tunning cans or cavities. This seems like quit an expense and a big undertaking for such a simple problem. I think I will just run one or the other but not at the same time. Thanks for the replies guys..
The extra hf rig is is so you can still monitor hf. with the 2000 split you can monitor 52 and 200 for ssb. swap back and forth from main to sub when you hear a vhf station you want to contact.

Yep. That is what I would don as well. Run one and be done. Leave the others off and also unhook any coax if it's a straight run from antenna to radio.
CK is totally correct as well as unit 399.
If you have a coax switch then void the last sentence of mine saying to unhook coax, as you'll have done that with a good switch anyhow per say. Anyhow. Have fun, and a good day.

Reactions: Blackcat630
The extra hf rig is is so you can still monitor hf. with the 2000 split you can monitor 52 and 200 for ssb. swap back and forth from main to sub when you hear a vhf station you want to contact.
Gotcha. That would kinda work. Would require an antenna switch since the ts2000 only has 1 vhf antenna jack. Then I would be monitoring ssb on the vertical or fm on the yagi. I think I will just stay with what i have. Can't invest anymore $$ into radio for a while..at least if I want to still have a wife! Thanks for the suggestion though.

Last edited:
Height and clear line of sight is more important than power. A friend of mine runs a VHF trunking system and with just 5W ERP. This last week I did some distance testing for him as I'm a trucker and I managed to pick up the control channel with a good quality signal using a Wouxun KG-UV1P handheld in my truck using an aftermarket antenna on the handheld from 40 miles away with the radio sat in a cup holder on the dash.

25W output would see less than a S point drop to the other station over 50W. 10W would see just 1 S-point drop over 50W.

Try dropping the power down from high to mid and see what happens.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.