• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FT 710 info ?

Get both, then no regrets...Maybe that's why I have so many radios...not really a practical idea...but then...
I'd like to stay married this time......lol. I'm afraid I'll have to choose one vs both lmao. You're a bad influence.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smokinone
Stop the whining!!! This means you lonestarbandit!!!
Let's look at this together shall we? You came into a thread willingly, that I started, inquiring about a radio purchase, to tell me to stop talking about purchasing a radio. Forgive me but this doesn't make you appear particularly top shelf.

Last edited:
For those that DID care and supplied all the excellent information:
I put a backorder in on a Yaseu FT710 FIELD and an Inrad 629 base and mic combo for the 710 this morning.
RandL were fantastic on the phone regarding potential wait times and making sure I got exactly the right items I wanted. Great place. Apparently I had purchased my now trashed VQ3 beam from them (a fact we discovered when putting the order in lol) . So gear will be here when it gets here. Again thanks to all involved.

Last edited:
Let's look at this together shall we? You came into a thread willingly, that I started, inquiring about a radio purchase, to tell me to stop talking about purchasing a radio. Forgive me but this doesn't make you appear particularly top shelf.

Actually, undertaker is a top shelf member and has been for a long time. I think you’ll agree we all have off days. I see he has deleted his posts. Now if you’ll kindly delete your responses, there will be no record of it and we’ll all be better for it.

@sp5it from what I've managed to dig up....the permanent fix vs that risky service menu work around is now, and if I'm wrong I'm going to be very annoyed with myself, you bridge one set of solder pads and a two button reset. If that's wrong it will be an expensive lesson. But that appears to possibly have come from Yaesu (printed instructions) hope this helps. Guess I will be the forum guinea pig when the radio comes in.

Screenshot_20231101_015939_DuckDuckGo.jpgScreenshot_20231101_015823_DuckDuckGo.jpgScreenshot_20231101_015834_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: YardDog
I do not recommend modifying any Amateur radio for use on 11m, but if you intend to get your ticket and play on the adult bands my opinion is GET THE 710!!!!!! I think the 710 and the 7300 are very close to each other in TX performance and bells and whistles, but the 710 is head and shoulders above any Icom offering in Receive quality. The several filtering modes and Digital Noise Reduction are superior and easily adjusted to varying conditions. I've worked a few dozen weak-signal SSB DX contacts on the HF bands that I could not hear on other radios. It's the first Yaesu I've owned but I'm hooked and won't be going back to other brands.

You mentioned liking the idea of the external monitor, but one word of caution if you choose the 710: be certain the monitor you buy is DVI capable. Connecting other monitor types can/has caused issues with some 710s, up to and including letting some Magic Smoke out of the radio. I bought a small, inexpensive DVI monitor and cable and have had zero issues.

Hope you get your Amateur ticket, if you like DXing you'll really enjoy talking thousands of miles with 100w on the upper HF bands.

73 and good luck.

With all due respect, that Yaesu 710 is NOT what I would consider a pretty radio ! I'm sure it will work wonderfully, but it's kinda fugly......as are many of the newer radio's (both ham and CB).
I prefer my radios to look like, uh, radios; and that looks like a portable TV to my eyes.
Given the choice I would rather look at a 7300 all day.

• Wow
Reactions: lonestarbandit
Heheh thanks @Crawdad It's already on order and fine, fine, BC. Lmao I get it but my vision slowly going so big monitor is huge plus. Yes Crawdad I did order an old DVI 22" monitor with ability for the top res the Yaesu can do @800x600 I think it was. I also read about people letting the magic smoke out by using adapters etc.
I bought the app for License study and slowly learning (so far failing the practice tests - more study required) . I'll start on chicken band but hopefully can at least manage to get technician eventually one hopes. Glad to hear the recieve filtering is top notch I have a noisy...QTH is it?
Done the breaker test it isn't me.
Good noise suppression is required here. Presently on a "Hear it" DSP speaker or I wouldn't even bother the noise is that bad.
Nice thing is latest firmware you can use wireless USB mouse to control the radio on the "TV" as BC calls it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BC Coyote
Ha ! Well look at it this way Lonestar, your wife will be thrilled by the way the new radio fits right into the living room decor. It looks like a TV after all !
Those big old heavy metal radios with all the knobs and dials just always looked better out in the shop, radio room, or basement LOL!

• Haha
Hmmm now that you mention it she will NOT be thrilled....I perhaps may have not totally explained to her the extent to which external display .....extended. unfortunately for her now, it is too late lol.

Reactions: BJ radionut
Hmmm now that you mention it she will NOT be thrilled....I perhaps may have not totally explained to her the extent to which external display .....extended. unfortunately for her now, it is too late lol.
As All Ham's will learn: Always better to ask for forgiveness...than ask permission! :D

PS: What did you decide on Microphone?(Nevermind I seen above) DUH!!! (y) Though from what I have heard on SSB...The FT-710 and the IC-7300 both have C+ transmit audio with the hand mic's.

Last edited:
Inrad DMS-6xx something or other that was recommended. Oh right R and L told me they were bought by Vibroplex. Also a adapter to test my Turner on. Just cause I've heard that some hams claim its just as good IDK but I have plenty of Turners so why not.Screenshot_20231107_152200_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.