• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FT-857D DSP, IF or AF?

Before you go with the ATAS120 antenna, consider the future.

1. Running an amp, can't do! The ATAS can't be used with much more than 100w.

2. Modifying the whip for a caphat to increase efficiency or use a 17 ft. Telescoping whip like I do for static mobile operating.

3. 60 and/or 80 meter capability.

If none of that interests you then the ATAS antenna does work and is truly plug and play needing nothing more than hooking up the coax cable, nothing more. Go with that one.

This antenna isn't the most efficient of the lot but all the other ones aren't either. Just some are better than others.

Fourstringburn, 40 meters is as low as I will want to go. It's going to be in/on a company car, which is a Toyota Camry hybrid. So I'm not planning on doing any stationary big antenna dx'ing or using an amplifier. Just looking to help pass the time while driving around about 5 States. Still considering the Little Tarheel, but that darned ATAS 120A sure looks convenient. And yeah, Captain Kilowatt... I've heard the old 120 plain version called the Yaesu rain gauge. :ROFLMAO: Supposedly fixed with the "A" model. I already have a nice mag mount Larsen 2/70B for VHF/UHF, but will probably use a trunk lip Comet or Diamond mount for it instead of the mag mount. Also considering the new FT-891 and just running a cheapo Baofeng or TYT mobile for 2m/70cm as opposed to the FT-857D.

Brett

I think in your situation the ATAS antenna would be best. You can't beat the ease of installation and direct interface with Yaesu radio's.

Just a radio, coax and antenna, then push the tune button on the radio and the antenna will move up or down to match the frequency and no external matching needed because all the inductance is in the antenna.

If it was your personal car, I would say go with something else.

Good luck with the hybrid because I heard the noise generated from them can be unforgiving.

Reactions: 2RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.