• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FT-857D DSP, IF or AF?

2RT307

Nov 22, 2011
Texas
I can't seem to find it anywhere on the internet. Is the FT-857D's DSP IF, or AF? I see the newest rigs include the DSP unit now.

Brett

Unless things have changed and I don't think they hav, the DSP is at the audio level and not the IF level unfortunately. I have an 857D that is several years old and it is nost definitely audio DSP. :(

Cool. I am trying to narrow down a mobile rig decision. In addition, I know the ATAS 120 is not a very efficient antenna, but I like how it integrates with the Yaesu rigs and eliminates control boxes for the screwdriver antenna. The FT-891 is awfully new, lacks VHF/UHF, has IF DSP, but I like to pick rigs that have the bugs worked out The 857D has the bugs worked out, has VHF/UHF as a plus, but has AF DSP. Ahhhh, decisions, decisions!

Brett

These seem to be some nice alternative antenna products, but they lack automatic band tuning:

http://tarheelantennas.com/mobile_antennas

I run the Yaesu 857D, 897D w/ LDG auto-tuner and the 1000MP. All with AF DSP and very reliable. They are built on similar architecture for ease of programming and use (y)

The very compact 857D is based on the same main board as the larger 897D transceiver that was recently obsoleted by the 991(A) with C4FM & Spectrum Scope. I therefore predict that the 857D is not far from a new model replacement or complete phase-out.

Not that it may matter, but some folks get pissed off that they bought a brand new car only to have it out-shined by a completely new factory replacement model released just a few months after purchase. After the new model gets released, others may see it as a reduced sale price opportunity on the old model with a factory warranty "while supplies last"

Reactions: 2RT307
Do yourself a big favor, pass on the ATAS antenna
I know people that run them successfully. Again, I know they aren't efficient in any way. But, I can't drive around with a high Q big honkin' Scorpion due to limitations of the vehicle . Do you have alternate suggestions?

Brett

I know people that run them successfully. Again, I know they aren't efficient in any way. But, I can't drive around with a high Q big honkin' Scorpion due to limitations of the vehicle . Do you have alternate suggestions?

Brett

I used the ATAS-120A for several years with the 857D and Icom 706MKIIG and though it worked well. Could have been during a upswing in the solar cycle though in th early 2000's.

there are several "aftermarket" companies making automatic tuners for that antenna series.

... and yes, the smaller diameter Tarheel antennas are much more XYL friendly than the big honkin Scorpion HI-Q antennas

Cool. Found this company in the US:

http://www.tunematic.us/

Price seems right at $140.

new-view-300x273.jpg

Other companies include MFJ, West Mountain and JT Comm

Reactions: 222DBFL
Those look nice BBB. Haven't seen or heard much about those. The LDG tuners seem to work pretty good. Not a fan of the MFJ stuff even though some swear by them. That is just me. Anyhow. Nice find. And a good price if they work well.

That particular model only has 20 memories, hence named "Lite" I figured for the price, you could try it out and see if muti-band mobile HF is for you.

The more expen$ive units have up to 1000+ memorie$.

To be clear, there's a big difference between a TuneMatic or any other screwdriver antenna controller, vs. an antenna tuner (match). The controller moves the motorized screwdriver antenna to the correct length to lower SWR, vs. an antenna tuner/matcher that matches the antenna system to 50 ohms (or close to it).

The ATAS 120A seems to have a much better reputation than the previous non "A" version. Looking at the Little Tarheel's, pricing is still a little higher once you include a controller vs. the ATAS setup.

Brett

the way the screwdriver controllers work is they have a base reference point and you adjust the antenna for the position you want and the controller writes the number of motor turns into memory.
when you tell the controller to "tune" the antenna, it counts the number of motor turns and adjusts the antenna back to the position you had set.

I was going to get a controller for my screwdriver, but, after installing it adding ground straps, ferrites, ect. I found that I can just listen to the rig and as the noise floor changes I can tell when it comes into resonance.

only then do I actually look at the swr meter , it usually just takes a very minor "bump" of the motor to get the lowest swr.

you might want to try this before you buy a controller.

some people just mark a reference line on the antenna tube and adjust it that way
images

YMMV

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.