• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ft 991a vs ic 7300

Sometimes people will just defend the choice of their radio whatever is out there, and condemning it as gossip.
https://www.dj0ip.de/my-7300/7300-amp-interfacing/
WARNING:

DO NOT 'ASSUME' YOUR 7300 WILL WORK SEEMLESSLY WITH EVERY AMP.

• Some amplifiers use high voltage for keying their T/R relay. These amplifiers will damage the 7300 the very first time you key them.
  • In most cases you must make at least one timing adjustment to the transceiver.
  • Failure to make the proper timing adjustments to the 7300 USUALLY results in Hot Switching and possible damage to the amplifier.
  • Nuff said.
https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/ic-7300-plus-linear-amp-warning.659179/

Last edited:
Reactions: fogdog
Sometimes people will just defend the choice of their radio whatever is out there, and condemning it as gossip.
https://www.dj0ip.de/my-7300/7300-amp-interfacing/
WARNING:

DO NOT 'ASSUME' YOUR 7300 WILL WORK SEEMLESSLY WITH EVERY AMP.

• Some amplifiers use high voltage for keying their T/R relay. These amplifiers will damage the 7300 the very first time you key them.
  • In most cases you must make at least one timing adjustment to the transceiver.
  • Failure to make the proper timing adjustments to the 7300 USUALLY results in Hot Switching and possible damage to the amplifier.
  • Nuff said.
https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/ic-7300-plus-linear-amp-warning.659179/

Amps with more than 12 volts on the keying circuit will damage alot of rigs. You also have to measure the current drawn by the realy and read the owners manual to see what the rig can take.

I don't own a 7300 but I know people that do. Some use them with an amplifier daily. Do you own one and have you experienced any issues? I'm asking about your personal experience and issues you have encountered with your Icom 7300. I can do my own Google searches.

Lets say we have a machine with a relay controlled electric motor. Have you ever noticed that those relay contacts arc every single time they open?

Should we also condemn that little buffer box mfj sells to the appliance operators so they can connect their amp to their new rig and not have to learn to use a multimeter? That buffer adds a bit more delay and might cause a hot switch.

Last edited:
I had the 7300 here on loan for a week to try out, and after that experience picked the FT991A.
First thing to do is RTFM, then act like it.
I dont use the ARB 704, and it has a switching transistor, as said i made my own ptt switch with 2 separate decks switching simultanious and one switched the radio the other the SB-1000.
Not had a problem with that set up with the FT 847, FT 100 FT 2000-D nor with the FT991A.
Not one of these radio's has a timing problem either.

So we are back to square 1, you stated the 7300 has no probem, i said it had, and pointed you to the places you can find it.

I don't mind, i did not buy the radio in the end and picked another one.
Everyone that bought a 7300 i hope he is happy with it.

I understand you are partial to the 991a. I haven't owned or used either rig. Just like Ford and Chevrolet, you will find folks that love one and hate the other. My main rig is an Anan 7000. It has it's quirks but I like it. Some Flex users will tell you it's a piece of junk.

If you are happy with it, what does it matter what someone else thinks?
It is a fine radio, miles ahead from the 7300 or FT991A.
I just had to make a choice buying a new radio, and looked around what was out there and could try the 7300 and FT991A both i chose as candidate for a new radio.
I'll sell the FT2000-D and FT100 in have, no use for the anymore.
I'm used to Yaesu menu's so that was no objection.
For me the choice was made after both radio's were extensively tested for a week here every day on all bands they could work on in all mode's.
I picked the FT991A for reasons mentioned above, if someone else picks the 7300 good for him.
Running FT-8 as i type, the radio is on from 08.00 till 24.00 in the night.
Running digital modes 50 watt all the time, bar the few round table rounds on 160/80.

I think you made good choice. When I bought an ftdx1200 several years ago I completely overlooked the 991a and don't know why. It was hiding in plain sight I guess. It would have been nice to have a 2m rig that did ssb and AM.

I would still take the ftdx1200 or better yet the ftdx3000 over a 7300. The little waterfall doesn't do much for me.

Reactions: BJ radionut
I didn't want the 991a for the screen, it is there, fine.

I picked it for the swiss knife solution i neded on limited space always 2 radio's to work HF and 2/70.
I had the FT847 with Collins filters doing that but picked up the FT 2000-D for better performance on HF and kept the FT100 mobile radio f2/70 all mode.
Took up too uch space so the smaller 7300 orr FT991A would fill the bill, still have a decent radio and more space here.

With my antenna's here i can work the world with every radio, i'm not a snob who needs the best radio out there just a good decent radio filling the needs I have.
I was inclined to the 7300 and FT 100 Combo first, but after a week testing side by side the 7300 just did not cut it the FT991A did, and i could use 1 radio for all bands of interests.
I replaced the original panasonic FT991A fan for a Sunon Vapo bearing fan and went from 36 cubic meters cooling capacity to 45 cubic meters capacity, keeping the radio abslutely cool even when the room temperature was almost 29 C ( 85F).
I did that with most radio's i bought, keeping electronics cool is making the radio live longer.
Chosing a better more expensive fan also makes less noise but cools better.
The screen is of no concern to me, I'm 1 foot away from the radio so clearly enough to be seen, used sparingly just to see what is happening on the band down or up my working frequency.
Back to Ft-8 on 10, band is a bit open, not much though.
Have fun, it is not the radio but antenna's and operating practice making the QSO's.

I've heard four operators in the past 1-1/2 years say there running a 991A. It didn't sound that good. I've heard probably 500 operators say their on a 7300, and they all sounded good.
I run a Ameritron AL 811H daily with no problems. A one time adjustment to the timing for hot switching and it works as it should. How hard is that. If you cant make adjustments to your radio, maybe you should get out of the hobby.
I work a lot in the Extra class band portions, and you hear a lot of operators (knowledgeable ones) discussing the 7300, and a lot of them have one, or are going to buy one. I think that says something about the Icom 7300. I also get nothing but good reports from my signal, from around the world. I reckon it's a pretty darn good radio. Personnaly I think the 991A's don't sound that good.

Reactions: L2
Depends, my modulation gets unsollicitated good reports.
It does take time to set up the 3 band parametric equaliser well, depending on your audio chain.
I'm using the 40 year old MD-1 from Yaesu, the EQplus from W2IHY and sparingly the equaliserr in the radio, no compressor from the FT 991A that is done by the EQplus compressor/limitter and downwards expander.
I was already used to that from the FT2000-D i had before and used almost the same settings getting the same good audio reports.
If you don't take the time setting up your audio well with the tools provided maybe you should opt for a less options rich radio like the FT991A.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slowmover
Testing radio's out of the hambands?
Not really a "Test"
Try within the hambands where the specs are guaranteed.
And deciding a radio's internal speaker sounds better? i always use better speakers as described, then your radio sounds a lot better.

Frequencies this guy is using no matter for test reliability. They are located in the middle of passband of LPF filters (best filter performance in that range), and provide stable distant signal for a test.
I see only one flaw in those tests, audio should be recorded from AF out, not from speakers.
Mike

Someone has a Yaesu IC 7300 for sale. Best of both worlds. :ROFLMAO:

20200830_194258.jpg

Reactions: L2 and Crawdad
As it is in the manual, the maker only guarantees the specs within the ham bands, not outside.
Since the filters of the 7300 are wide as barn doors and the FT991A are just tighter that shows the comparison is faulty.
The wide bandfilters of the 7300 is nice if you want an general coverage reciever, not so if you buy a ham radio and need to keep the strong out of band signals at bay.

As I said before it is a good radio for it's price and entry radio, but you have to realise it's shortcommings.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated