• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ft 991a vs ic 7300

Since the filters of the 7300 are wide as barn doors and the FT991A are just tighter
If you call that tighter filter in 991a...
ye.jpg

and same part in 7300
73.jpg

Obviously you have no idea what you are talking about.

Maybe in stead of selectively putting up just part of the 991 A schematic, produce the full schematic of the front end including band filters.
Most of the OVF warnings of the 7300 come from bleeding commercial stations into the hambands because the 7300 filters are barndoor wide, specially using broadbanded antenna's.
Specially here in the EU where signals are a bit higher as the USA.
Now, i had both here on the same antenna's and the ft991A never showed that problem, the 7300 did.
I got IM products here before the OVF light came on....the 16 bit A/D here is the problem.
It limits the usable dynamic range to 80 dB, something an FT991A is lots better in, as well every other tripple conversion radio.
For example, the 7300 bandfilter for 20 meter is runs from 10 to 15 MHz, as said barndoor wide.
As usual, you show you really don't understand the practical problem here.
You can put as many ribbons on the 7300, it still is a cheap entry radio with a nice face but it has it's shortcommings.
One reason many 7300's are showing up here on the second hand market.
Denial is not a river in Egypt.

Last edited:
Reactions: VaHam
Probably you are right. I made 302 DXCC on that dummy load on 40m.
Talking about your experience on ham bands I noticed weird thing. Your internet activity about ham radio outperforms your on the air presence.
I checked major DXpeditions took place last years, you are not there.
It seems to me, that or you have honour roll on all bands (you don't), or you are just a troll.
Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: NightThumper
One could argue that there are so many second hand 7300s because so many were sold. Everyone and their mother has one. I don't know how it is in the UK, but where I live it's rare to get on the air and not hear someone a 7300. If you google either rig + issues you'll find someone that had a bad experience and hates one or the other.

Reactions: fogdog and sp5it
Mike, since when does honor rolls or expeditions make an ham out?
I'm not in it for the banners you so like to drape on the 7300.
I have nothing against the 7300, it is an entry radio with it's shortcommings how much you seem to deny it.
I rather spend my time listening and working stations i like as hunting trofee's and rather use the soldering iron as the microphone.
SO whatever you try to make it personal, that is silly, and just shows you have no real answer, just crapping on the person who brings the news.
Sad really.

Reactions: VaHam
The 7300 sounds great with just about any mic. I have four locals with 7300 and they all sound great. I use a Heil icm and get great audio reports. It even sounds good with the supplied hand mic. I also have one local with a 991a. He sounds pretty good too.

Edit: I know they market the 7300 as an "entry" level rig but to me it's not. To me entry rig is the IC-718 or the FT-450D which don't come close to the performance of the 7300.

Last edited:
The FT 450D is already an older design, looking at prices the FT991A and 7300 are entry radio's and better as the last generation entry radio's.
I also worked the world on my FT100, FT 847 with Colins filters, and FT 2000-D, not much change there, just better noise cancelling features and back to have HF and 2/70 in one radio for me.
I can buy the most expensive radio out there, no problem, i chose not to, i found these radio's and the rebuild Heathkit SB 1000 will do all i need to work the world, no need to show off the latest new fangled transciever.

The most fun i had was the first 25 years being ham working vhf and UHF exclusively.
Not interested in HF, most stuff build myself, transverters P.A.s etc.
It was only after i was done on VHF/UHF i went to HF and then the first 10 years building up the 160 meter station, digging in 3000 feet radials and build the vertical and dabble on 160 in phone.
Only since i got the FT 2000-D i went for the other bands, more listening and make the odd qso, not interested in gathering certificates.
It is a hobby, not for me getting on top of everyone to "prove"myself.
Pensioned now, so more time to spend on travel hobby's like shooting and radio.
Have fun.

Reactions: fogdog
When I listened to the military guy in the forest I could hear immediately that the tone of the RX'd hiss on the ICOM sounds rather whistle-y and unpleasant the FT991A sounds like what I am used to hiss sounding like from a radio.
The ICOM RX audio sounds slightly harsher on the ears to me, for speech, hiss and the morse.

To me you would probably have to go through quite a few ext speakers to get the Icom to sound better by matching the right external speaker to the radios "pinched" sounding audio..

Last edited:
Interesting. I think the internal speaker of the 7300 sounds pretty good in my shack but I use a pair of Kenwood KES-5 mobile speakers. With the bass and treble settings in the 7300 you can make any speaker sound good.

I'm more interested in how the new FT-DX10 compares with the 7300.

I since found out it is the filters "soft/sharp" setting that makes the greatest difference to RX sound quality on the 7300. In addition a large external speaker driver is night and day for RX tone. I DIY'd a 6.5 inch driver into a small box with some wadding in there, then tailor bass/treble per mode to shape the final tonal preferences.

Last edited:
Reactions: L2

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated