• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ft102

DxExpress

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 15, 2005
Maine
found a place that said they can enable the 11 mec in my 102, and that i could use a cb to transmitt, if he enables the 11 meters wouldnt that include transmit as well as recieve???

dave

i have seen a few 102's on cb bands, they were all done with a bunch of diodes connected to the controll circuit on the front panel and a switch on the back of the radio to sellect cb or normal opperation, they worked well on tx and rx

DxExpress said:
found a place that said they can enable the 11 mec in my 102, and that i could use a cb to transmitt, if he enables the 11 meters wouldnt that include transmit as well as recieve???

dave

It's illegal to modify and use that radio on 11 meters or use it otherwise without a license..

Hey Dave,
That model had a couple of 'weak spots' that frustrated the devil out of many hams who bought them new 25 or so years ago. On the circuit board that has the transmit driver on it, are a handful of "DIP"-type relays that will become intermittent. Not if, but when. If they have already been replaced on your unit, that's great. Like buying a 1980 car that has already had the original A-frame bushings replaced. Possible, but not too likely.

If the transmit and/or receive start to cut in and out, and if the preamp works "sometimes", odds are that you have "DIP"-relay trouble. They are a pain to replace, even IF you can find them. Used to buy them from Digi-Key, but they replied "DISCONTINUED" last time I tried to reorder a batch.

If it's a good one, it's a good radio. If the seller sold you a radio that needs relays, it's your problem now.

i love my 102.. due to the high end receiver (THE SAME THATS IN THE FT 1000) and the 3 6146's there is power to spare.., If you get lucky enough to find one that the relays have been switched out then you GOT A KEEPER. if not be prepared to drop some $$$ getting it overhauled... I can tell ya in my opinion if the radio is clean it is well worth the time and effort.. I wouldnt advise trying to do it yourself though... The relay coversion should be done by a qualified tech.. Many DO_IT_YOURSELFERS have tried and wound up with a pile of junk in the end...

I have a good friend that had a 102, he ended up selling his because the 11m mod was to involved :shock: ....The mod that modsdk.com lists only opens up part of 11m and not all of it...73 Mike :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.