• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FT857d or IC7000

FT-857D or IC-7000

This may be just a little late but I thought I would add my 2 cents. I have all three rigs mentioned (IC-7000, TS-2000, FT-857D).

The FT-857D is a rock solid little performing rig but lacks all the extra options and features of the IC-7000. If and when you were to go out and purchase the filters, full featured mic, etc for the FT-857D you could already have had an I-7000 and been done with it. The IC-7000 is, as others have pointed out a leap above the FT-857D. It's also more expensive but you obviously get what you pay for.

The Kenwood TS-2000 on the other hand is also a nice all mode up to UHF rig. I have also used it mobile but not for everyday mobile use, VHF+ contesting. It's temporary use during a planned rove (let me know if anyone needs an explanation on Rovering) has proved reliable and powerful for that matter. I would not recommend it for everyday use in your vehicle however and my application seems to be the exception based on the power out on 2 meters and 70cm for VHF+ contesting. It makes more sense rather than buying a amp for each band to interface with a lower power radio (I use 6m, 2m, 70cm, and 222mhz).

In short the IC-7000 is the one I would look at if I was in your shoes.

Hope this helps,

Mike KC2PLJ

You know, I never even thought about Kenwood. What is the TS 480's like?

The 480HX is a work horse plus 200 watts and 100 on 6m, You don't get 2m or 440 but i don't talk local anyway. 11 meters you just remove ONE smd resistor for full MARS. Audio is studio quality and receive is fantastic. The 480SAT is 100 watts and a bulit in tuner. The tuner is'nt that hot. The only problem i have found is that when using another mic other then the stock mic you have to reverse the 2 ground wires in the RJ45. Ham City at the moment is selling the cheapest ( 480HX ) $999.95 until 09/30/11. Plus they will even do the MARS mod but they charge $80.00.

73, WA2KNU 35 yrs Extra Class

$80 for MARS mod is way high. Actually, I consider that pretty much a rip off.

I agree with u, But no one else sells the 480HX for 999.95 either, Plus if u do the mod yourself and mess up the board u have a 999.95 paper weight. Some charge 30 bux which is'nt bad however this place does'nt even ask for a copy of your MARS at all. CBers start ordering today :eek:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.