• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Full wave antennas for CB

I built an end fed 44' 9.1 unun 18g wire antenna. Have tried it out yet. With all of you gentlemen's knowledge, experience do you think it will work and have a low swr on 11 meters if I use an atu. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That's about the length of my wire on my endfed for my HF. I get 1.2 swr on 11m.. so I think it should be fine.. get cheap swr meter. It might even be resonant and not need a tuner.

IMG_20180630_182007149.jpg

Last question,
Do you think its a fullwave at 11 meters due to it being 44'?

Yes. From eBay seller in Michigan. Says 80m-6m.. was $37

Shouldn't need counterpoise. I did to maybe get a dipole effect.

Mine is 36' going up in a tree and makes a left for about 8' more. Maybe 9'.

I set mine up for HF. I can tune down to 80m and upto 10m using a manual tuner.. I just noticed that I'm set on 1-A-1 which is like saying nothing required when on 11m and most of 10m with this. Flipped tuner to bypass and my swr was low like 1-1.2 or so.. :)

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

I set mine up for HF. I can tune down to 80m and upto 10m using a manual tuner.. I just noticed that I'm set on 1-A-1 which is like saying nothing required when on 11m and most of 10m with this. Flipped tuner to bypass and my swr was low like 1-1.2 or so.. :)
I was thinking about taking the 44' down and replacing it with a 35'. But now that you said the swr is 1-1.2 I'm going to leave up. The matchbox is about 16' up on a wooden pole and the 18g wire is in a sloper configuration maybe 40' then bends down 4' which is up in a 30' tree. Its pointed northwest/southeast. So my radiation should be east/west. Looking forward to some skywave propagation. I should be able to listen 160-6 meters. I'm studying for my amateur radio license. Going to try for my extra class ticket.

I did tech and 3 months later did my general..

My longest part of my wire going up into the tree on a slope I think running east and west, I get good North and South and some splash out to Michigan with the pattern. I think the splash is from the last 8-9' going North.

I did tech and 3 months later did my general..

My longest part of my wire going up into the tree on a slope I think running east and west, I get good North and South and some splash out to Michigan with the pattern. I think the splash is from the last 8-9' going North.
That's great what's you're farthest contact since putting it up. And do you have any common mode noise or rfi in you're shack. I had a 30' up last week and for the first time since getting back on the circuit I didn't have any after putting up 9.1 unun matchbox. I hope the 44' wire will let me have a better transmit/receive due to it being only up 30'. I'm going to try to put it up higher in the next couple of day's hoping to see some improvement. Due to living in an hoa development I had to take down the aluminium aerial I installed. After doing extensive research I came across the 9.1 unun. I put up 2 half-squares in my living room 1- northwest/southeast, 1-southwest/northeast. They worked very well which gave me the opportunity to listen on 160-10meters around the world when propagation was good. Now that I have the 9.1 unun up outside going to see how good it going to work. My mentor was an aide to president truman and told me before his passing. That wire antennas if built properly could out talk any other antenna if the person building it knew what he was doing. That's what I'm trying to do. His knowledge/experience have given me thing's that's not in book"s or online.

I have talked to Canada and FL.. lots of GA and TN.. some Ohio and quite about of Illinois. Had 2 KY, some VA..

On the HAM bands 5mhz WWV toner/tick-tock every once and a while I can here the womans voice which I read was the Hawaii one..

View attachment 24159

Alinco DXSR-8T does 160-10m.. was $479 new.. 120w on SSB and 55 on AM.. the manual says 100w and 40w..
Alinco is a great rig. Watched alot of video's on different ones including yours. I have a hybrid rig from the 1970's a Yaesu Ft-101e does 160-10m. 120w on SSB/80 on CW/ 40 on AM. It has some of the best audio for a hybrid tube rig. Its sensitivity is the best I ever heard next to the Drake TR-4C. Maybe one day I will have a qso with you 38 lower ssb and on HF after I acquire my amateur radio license this September 2018.

Reactions: CB590

What's the you're counterpoise length that's given you the dipole effect on you're end fed 44' sloper 9.1 unun. I would like to get the same effect on my end fed 44' sloper 9.1 unun.

I used 12' of 12 guage thhn wire.. same wire as my antenna.
Thank you I want to get the best performance from it. I already have a 8'.5" attached to my atu for 11 meters. With the addition of the 12' added to the matchbox this will make it work even better. In reviews on the end fed antenna alot of hams are saying to attach the same length of wire for the counterpoise as the antenna. Why are they saying that?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.