• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Full wave antennas for CB

I read the optimal was 17' for counterpoise.. but I had an extra cut to 12' already so I used that. Equal length would be making a dipole antenna..
I decided to experiment with the 9.1unun attached a 18g 30' wire in a sloper configuration. I mounted it 30' up in a tree infront of my building and attached a 30' counterpoise wire to the bottom of the matchbox. Up 12' off the ground perpendicular to the antenna in a downward direction. Conditions weren't that good today but I was able to qso with operator's in Northern California/Seattle, WA/ Arizona. My swr went from 1.2.1to 1.0.1on the atu which helped with Ft-101e. Looking forward to seeing how better it will work when conditions get better.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Sure you don't mean 3.8350 MHz (aka 80m)..

The other isn't a ham band..
38 lower side band on cb. Without having my license I would get into a world of trouble if I made qso's on 80 meters or any other amateur radio frequency. I like listening alot but won't do it. I use my knowledge/experience/wisdom from my mentor that was an aide to president truman and fellow member's of amateur radio fraternity on 11 meter band until I get my license.

I read the optimal was 17' for counterpoise.. but I had an extra cut to 12' already so I used that. Equal length would be making a dipole antenna..

Not really, equal lengths (44/44) would make it a center fed di-pole.

what you have is a di-pole antenna fed at about 12/44 of its overall length... about 27% , ..... an OCF antenna.

the 17/44 number comes from the "approx" method of feeding OCF's at about 1/3 (17/44 = 38.6%)

what you have is a di-pole antenna fed at about 12/44 of its overall length... about 27% , ..... an OCF antenna.

the 17/44 number comes from the "approx" method of feeding OCF's at about 1/3 (17/44 = 38.6%)
My end fed wire antenna is 30' long with a 30' counterpoise. It's working good so far. Do you think putting another 30' to the atu ground post will help improve its radiation any better?

I'm thinking about attaching 3-30' counterpoise wires on the bottom of my 9.1 unun matchbox transformer that's approximately 15' above ground. I have a 29' sloper wire antenna up 35' in a tree. The counterpoise wire will hang down at a 45 degree angle underneath it. Do you think this setup will improve the antenna's performance?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just bought a full wave dipole off ebay. I live in the woods inland of the North coast of Northern Cal. I have a Antron 99 with radials at about 80 feet high in a topped out tree. I am going to lay the dipole horizontally at about 80-100 feet of the ground. I live in a hole in the forest surrounded by Doug Fir trees. I am going to try the dipole facing North to South. I have a Rohn RG-25 70' Tower with a 3 element beam on a rotor. I have not installed this yet. I am waiting to get my Ham Lic. before I do the install. I may build a beam for the 2 meter band. My 3 element beam is hand built and is vertical and horizontal. I think I should hit Eureka Ca. no problem. I just need a directional beam like the old days.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.