• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

galaxy 2517 dead

mudflap

Jun 25, 2009
It started humming on tx for a few minutes then lost all power like I pulled the plug out of the wall. I checked the fuse it was good . help please

Sounds like the power supply failed.

I've never ownered or worked on this model of radio before, but most base radios have the option to use a 12v DC source - your radio should as well.

There should be a plug in the back of the radio that accepts 12v DC, and there should also be a switch to flip it from 110v AC to 12v DC. So use a car battery, or an external power supply and see if it will power up...

...Or you could fix the power supply in the radio. I'm not familliar with this particulr radio - but almost all power supplies have a transformer (almost never goes bad), a diode pack/bridge rectifier (often goes bad) and a voltage regulator (can go bad). It may also have a pass regulator transistor - they easily go bad. It may have a switching-type supply - which is a different design - but I doubt it...

So - I would replace the pass regulator transistor first (about $3-5) - or test it with a diode checker on a meter. Sometimes - even if they check out OK; they can fail/intermittant under load (use). The voltage regulator is a $.50 part that also can go bad. Visually inpect all of the parts in the power supply and see if any look burned/cracked. If youi have replaced the pass regulator transistor and the voltage regulator and it still won't work, I would replace the diodes (about $2-4) - and use diodes that have a higher rating...

Just two cents worth...

looks like (tr602) 3 legs are discolored like they got hot if this is the problem where can I get a replacement it is a 2sd2531 transistor

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.