• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy 95T and TS667 issues

bigred222

Key Up City Radio
Aug 28, 2006
Stamford, CT
www.cbjunk.com
Ok so i finally figured out why my new(for me) Texas star 667 is only putting out 200 watts. Shockwave advised me that due to the fact that the small heatsink used for the 2x2290's heats up really quick they low drive the heck out of them from the radio by only utilizing the driver stage thats in the radio to drive the 2290's. Does anyone know if you can go about adding a set of erf2030's to the place where they would normally be if the radio had them without too much trouble. I really like my 95T and would like to use it with the 667 but i didnt buy the amp to have it loaf along at 200 watts. pointless.....anyway if anyone is good at looking at schematics here ya go
dx95t_ept690010c_parts_layout_top.gif

-BigRed222

From just a little research on what you posted, this amp needs a single final radio, with an input of 1-2 watts of dead key and around 20 watts pep. If you have a good single final radio it should make it work a lot better and not kill your amp. As it stands you are driving the crap out of the 1 2290 pill which may be showing you a high dead key with a backwards swing on a watt meter. You either need to change radios or figure out how to tone the radio you have way down, or get an hd model with no driver, as in a straight 4 pill amp. I know it's not what you want to hear but something has to give and my bet is that you are going to burn that poor 2290 up over driving it. Good luck and hope you get it sorted out.

WOW...........I am not sure where to even start here.

A 667 is a 1x4 LOW DRIVE amplifier with a single 2290 driver and four 2879's. There is no need to mess with the finals or do really anything to this amp, it is what it is and is just fine. Radio drive levels for this amp are as follows, 1-1.5 watt AM dead key input with a peak input of 12-20 watts MAX.

This means that IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM should a Galaxy 95T be used. Unless you want to blow the piss out of the amp.

I have re-read your post many times now and I have no clue what you are talking about when you refer to your 667 only doing 200 watts and you want to do something with 2030 mosfets? None of that makes any sense at all. Can you expand on that some please.

big red needs a dx1600 not 667 or even 500. but.....when ya gotta ask.....ya shouldn't be doing it ;) but then again, ya gotta learn somehow & 2 ohm smoke is a great way to learn ;)
sorry
big red's gotta talk to big boss, or trouble & city girl, or blade.....i ain't been on the bowl in a while, not even sure if the last 3 are still around.....have heard boss out there relatively recently though

I know I have had afew beers now now but I just gotta say this. The title reads,
"Galaxy 95T and TS667 issues", .....and as soon as I read that is say YA THINK!!!!!!
Wow. Nuff said I guess.

Reactions: nickleusa
There is no need for crapping on the guy for asking.

That 667 Amp uses 1 2290 to drive 4 2879s, has stated in a previous post. The Galaxy 95t2 as an internal amplifier section using 2 2290s. You don't want to load the driving 2290 of the amp with 2 2290s of the radio. And I know the amp spec sheet states the input level of the 667 as 20W max, but I wouldn't even hit it that hard. That internal driver is only rated at 5W max input for 65W out @12.5V. And the 4 2879s are rated for a max input of 10W each for 100W out. So a 1W dead key and 4-5W max would give you clean output. Overloading it with more than that just puts out dirty audio. That is why this amp isn't strongly recommended for SSB. I was inquiring about the 667 to Dave at DTB radio and he talked me right out of buying it. He said "you'd be better off with a DX500, especially if you plan on talking on SSB." But even if you sold your 667 and purchased a DX500, which is the same amp as the 667 minus the driving transistor, you would still have to send out your Galaxy to have the low power setting dropped from 10W to about 4W or less.

You guys are all right, one should never "drive" a 667.
I read a earlier thread and he has thought of that.
He had a switch placed on the radio to drop out the 2290`s in the final section.
What he is talking about is that often in the radios that use 2 X 2290`s they limit the drive from the radio to the power amp section, in the early radios that used bipolars in them, they would just put a single final in the radio instead of the dual finals that the low power models had.
The question is, what is your radio putting out for power?
And what kind of meter are you using?
A well tuned single final radio should drive a 667 fine on high power with just the "red" button depressed.

Jeff

There is no need for crapping on the guy for asking.

That 667 Amp uses 1 2290 to drive 4 2879s, has stated in a previous post. The Galaxy 95t2 as an internal amplifier section using 2 2290s. You don't want to load the driving 2290 of the amp with 2 2290s of the radio. And I know the amp spec sheet states the input level of the 667 as 20W max, but I wouldn't even hit it that hard. That internal driver is only rated at 5W max input for 65W out @12.5V. And the 4 2879s are rated for a max input of 10W each for 100W out. So a 1W dead key and 4-5W max would give you clean output. Overloading it with more than that just puts out dirty audio. That is why this amp isn't strongly recommended for SSB. I was inquiring about the 667 to Dave at DTB radio and he talked me right out of buying it. He said "you'd be better off with a DX500, especially if you plan on talking on SSB." But even if you sold your 667 and purchased a DX500, which is the same amp as the 667 minus the driving transistor, you would still have to send out your Galaxy to have the low power setting dropped from 10W to about 4W or less.

I was not trying to crap on the guy. Anyone who spends any time on the forum and has a basic understanding of cb radio and amplifiers can see and understand a 200 watt radio into a 667 is insane. That is the kind of question you expect from a mis-informed green stick newbie and not from a thousand poster like Bigred.

I agree with DTB, I would take a TS500 any day over a 667. You can run many different radio's into the 500. The 667 is a cranky low drive beast that runs hot.

You guys are all right, one should never "drive" a 667.
I read a earlier thread and he has thought of that.
He had a switch placed on the radio to drop out the 2290`s in the final section.
What he is talking about is that often in the radios that use 2 X 2290`s they limit the drive from the radio to the power amp section, in the early radios that used bipolars in them, they would just put a single final in the radio instead of the dual finals that the low power models had.
The question is, what is your radio putting out for power?
And what kind of meter are you using?
A well tuned single final radio should drive a 667 fine on high power with just the "red" button depressed.

Jeff

Keep in mind also on the 667 the variable is always on and cannot be disabled like in the TS350,400, & 500.

I thought I had read about someone doing the mod for dropping the finals out of line, good looking audio shockwave, consensus is that you need to find out what your radio is keying up and what kind of wattage are you putting into the amp. Maybe take the amp out of line and find out what the radio is doing, then make the adjustments to the radio and mark a small line for the correct input needed. JMO, but as it stands something isn't right, right? Hope you get this mess figured out and god bless.

9C1, you are correct.
Still I have played with 667`s before and did not have a problem driving them to decent levels with a single final radio.
Certainly more than 200 watts.
I really do not care for any of CB style Amps with built in drivers, they are just a handful at times to deal with.
Anyway, I do not know what the setup is for the latest 95T radios, but I would guess that it may only be a single IRF520 driving the final PA.
I do not know if the PC board is laid out to just add the other 520 back if it is needed to gain more drive.

Jeff

Reactions: 2 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.