• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX-2517........where to begin???

I got one for a good price from an elderly woman. It belonged to her late husband who passed away. It looks like new and really doesn't have anything done to it other than the conversion. It sounds great from what I am told. I use it to talk to my locals mostly. I don't do much talking on SSB. So, I don't know how much it drifts. Besides I have other radios better suited for SSB.
I get it , like said I loved the looks of the radio but being a member here for a few years now I have learned a lot , looks don't get you out clean . On am sometimes your better off with and old TRC -9 Realistic like I cut my teeth on . That $29.95 radio has turned me into spending a lot of $'s over the years .lol

Really didn't have any immediate plans to mess with it. I don't need it to be a high wattage radio because I have plenty of amps that do that already. Just needed a good clean talking base radio to get out there and talk to my locals.

That's how to do it. Bastardizing a radio to squash someone in a competition is one thing but for daily use leave it alone. All I need for rag chew is a radio that makes a clean clear signal and amplify it if I need to. I don't skimp on the amplifier either. I run them at less than half of what most cbers can get out of one. Sweep tubes aren't good for more than 80-100 pep a piece no matter what the experts say.

That's how to do it. Bastardizing a radio to squash someone in a competition is one thing but for daily use leave it alone. All I need for rag chew is a radio that makes a clean clear signal and amplify it if I need to. I don't skimp on the amplifier either. I run them at less than half of what most cbers can get out of one. Sweep tubes aren't good for more than 80-100 pep a piece no matter what the experts say.

Hear in New Orleans, everybody talks like they are on the channel 6 super bowl no matter what channel they are on. Most talk to hear themselves talk or to talk over each other. You are lucky to find someone with a good clean sounding radio. With handles like pill test, pill killer,pill crusher and pill driver. You already know how jacked up and how loud and distorted they sound. The part that kills me is when they ask each other how they sound the answer is always the same. GREAT!!!!!!!!

I personally learned a long time ago how I want to sound and how I think others should sound.

Reactions: NZ8N and 357magnum
My 2517 has been great so far and is mostly stock. The first thing I would like to report is ssb stability is very good beter than one of my local's stryker 955 v2 once operating tempature is reached. I Did the mod to tie the rx/tx clarifier together because ssb operation was dificult in stock configuration. The other mod that was done by the previous owner Is the resistor/diode swing mod that works well.
I am considering taking out the swing mod and instaling a top gun modulator and tuning it on the scope but I feel like the way it is set up now is better for driving staged amps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
CBC quit advertising the Channel Guard filters in 2011. I contacted him in 2019, he said he quit selling them because of slow sales. Lou had a few left unfinished, and some guy bought the whole lot, thought he had a "corner on the market, jacked up the price.

I have an updated model, in both 7.8 and 10.695 MHz, mostly Surface Mount, that has better DC power input filtering, and the board is around half the size of Lou's.

20220111_220305.jpg

This is Version 1, no wires hooked up to them in this pic yet, I have another version that I have designed and am and testing that has a Diode switched "Bypass or FM" mode, because FM needs a little more bandwidth in receive to function. Version 2 (with FM bypass mode) will be a little smaller, too.

I have another version that I have designed and am and testing that has a Diode switched "Bypass or FM" mode, because FM needs a little more bandwidth in receive to function. Version 2 (with FM bypass mode) will be a little smaller, too.
Could the version 1 be made to turn on and off with a switch for fm? I would not mind giving up the useless nf switch on my 2517 for one of these.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated