• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX-2517........where to begin???

HillTop$hredder

Jan 3, 2018
Was an old DX-er back in the 80's. Full circle and want to get back into the game. Have an untouched DX-2517 and would like to know simple and good mods for this. Going with a 4-6 beam antenna and 1000-ish liner.

So with that in mind what should be done to the base if anything? "Worldwide" isn't my goal but I'd like to get out a little and sound clear!!!! Thanks.............

Reactions: 357magnum

Was an old DX-er back in the 80's. Full circle and want to get back into the game. Have an untouched DX-2517 and would like to know simple and good mods for this. Going with a 4-6 beam antenna and 1000-ish liner.

So with that in mind what should be done to the base if anything? "Worldwide" isn't my goal but I'd like to get out a little and sound clear!!!! Thanks.............
Leave the radio alone if you truly want to sound clear.

Should already sound clear, and has an adjustable carrier, if you want to modify the audio response a little, I can find a component value substitution sheet for you. (not a butcher mod)

Last edited:
On the Galaxy,
Expect it to drift on frequency on SSB, it is what it is.
DO NOT clip the limiter in it, you will bleed into everything including your toaster.

A good alignment of the PLL circuit would be a great thing to have done.
As others have posted pretty much leave it alone no mods needed.

DX is few and far between but some still there, on the down hill slide of the solar cycle but occasionally there are band openings.

welcome back to the hobby and have fun.

Agree on the alignment of radio. But the best 85% of a good dx-er, is feedline/coax and antenna/antenna height. Do your research on both then get what your budget allows. Put the antenna as high as you can with the funds you have or save up for a tower with a beam.

Omni-directional are cheap, easy to install but lack gain and power concentration. Beams are more cash, better gain and allow lower power levels to work contacts but usually need a tower, good rotor and available room to erect or guy down tower if needs be. Good coax or feedline and connectors help also, no cheap stuff. Just my $0.02 worth.

These guys on here are just going to tell you to leave it stock and untouched... They don't like any kind of mods per se....
Can't and don't speak for everyone else but . . . there are some mods that I do or do not remove from a radio I'm working on. Schottky diodes - cool with that. Pull a AM Limiter out - not cool with that. Use a SSB radio to build an AM monster - definitely not cool with that.

If you need more power just buy an amp. Most mods just produce gay watts and look like a square wave on da scope. You'll get out a lot farther and sound cleaner leaving the the alone.
If you want to swang da Dosy.. just clip the diode and crank the audio till you feedback into your toaster.

Cap changes found on WWpDX.
Goldfinger » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:49 pm

Even though the audio chips differ, the caps in the 959 mod HERE are the same.
Postby 426 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:54 am

Galaxy 900 series radios 919 through 979

Receive

Remove C39
Change C78, C40 and C185 to 2.2uF non-polarized electrolytic
To add more highs change C184 to a .001uF ceramic disc

Transmit

I edited this line-->Not recommend to open up the modulation limiter on AM only, Don't Remove Q57!<--o_O

Need more gain for running a stock mic or noise cancelling mic?
Change R-176 from a 270K stock, to a 470K.

Want more Bass?
Change C-154, a .22uF 16V tantalum, to a 3.3uF 16V tantalum.
Change C-171 and C-235 to .47uF 50-100 volt Mylar.

For even more Bass.

Change C-154, a .22uF 16V tantalum, to a 10uF 16V tantalum.
Change C-171 and C-235 to 2.2uF, 50-100 volt Mylar.

the 2.2uF non-polarized and the 10uF tantalum available it Radio Shack.

Goldfinger thanks for the Info.

wwpdxDOTcom/ForumWWPDX/viewtopic.php?t=12330
Thanks should go to Goldfinger & 426, I found these at wwpdx.
Edit: I agree with Tallman and Exit13. The older ones (or just, not RCI) are better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I almost bought a 2517 a few years back , I love the look of the radio . But I did my research and found it too " Iffy" for me ( main fact was drifting ) . So I bought a good Cobra 2k and had it modded .JMO

I got one for a good price from an elderly woman. It belonged to her late husband who passed away. It looks like new and really doesn't have anything done to it other than the conversion. It sounds great from what I am told. I use it to talk to my locals mostly. I don't do much talking on SSB. So, I don't know how much it drifts. Besides I have other radios better suited for SSB.

Reactions: 357magnum

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?