• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX 949 Clarifier Modification

8113 Northern MN

Aug 9, 2013
Virginia,MN
I opened up my clarifier along time ago and was satisfied as it allowed me to tune people in and make sure at all times I was right on frequency. However, recently Ive been playing around on .555 alot and keep getting people asking me to go to .600 or .610 and the such. My clarifier doesnt allow me to have that kinda range...i can only adjust .0005 up and down. Is there a way to open these radios up further to allow me to get that range down to the half way mark between channels?

Jump R114, or remove R114 and install a jumper in its place. Remove C130, this is the range limiting capacitor on the varicap diode.

This will increase your slide more than enough to get into the "half-channels". Re-tune L20, L21, and L22 for center slot if necessary.

~Cheers~

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Removed C130
Removed R114

With No jumper I have no slide...with jumper installed I have .0015 up and down instead of only .0005. So on 27.3850 I can get down to 27.3835 and up to 27.3865. Im trying to reach 27.3800 and 27.3900

Last edited:
Something isn't right then. You should be seeing in excess of +/- 6 kHz after those mods. Sounds like the clarifier might not be unlocked correctly, or there's a suspect component in the clarifier circuit.

~Cheers~

Reactions: Robb
Clarifier was unlocked when i got it. Tomorrow when im out in the shop ill take a look and see if i can find which method was used to unlock it. Any idea where to start looking as to why it isnt unlocked corectly following your advice?

Hi, I saw this post, I have a DX-2547 and I am trying to unlock the clarifier, the board inside is EPT069611A which I think is same as DX-949. If so will the clarifer mod mentioned above work in my DX-2547? Thanks, Adam

Just verify that on RX and TX JP189 stays at 8V - else remove VR7 and locate R113 free leg to Jp200 or Jp190 your V8 constant supply rail...Keep VR7 in case you need to re-trim Clarifier versus trying to realign all those coils - the trimmer will adjust the voltage for you just install it in series with R113' freed leg with the VR's other side to those JP's 200 or 190 and use it's "Variable" to re-center your clarifier...

You just need 8Volt constant - you've disconnected it's TX side by lifting D68's leg - that top rail trace on the board supplies 8 Volts so any of the jumpers that solder to it will provide you that voltage - just don't cause any shorts ok?

Last edited:
OK, I am of course hoping that I won't have to do the extra steps but will check when done that 8 volts is there. Thanks again, Adam

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.