• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX 94HP Big Rig will not power on...

Another thought to ponder:

Apparently the switch is not up to the task of supplying the necessary current to run the radio properly. A small relay could be added to do the heavy lifting, while the switch supplies the few milliamps to switch the relay. I bet a relay costs way less than a switch too.

This is becoming a major issue for a lot of ranger made radios, including my 69vhp the 99 series x9 connex cx33 and probably more. should be a warranty repair Item. I have repaired about 5 and turned down more due to lack of parts on hand.
When you repaired them did you install a new switch? If so, was it as big of a pain as it looks like it would be?

Another thought to ponder:

Apparently the switch is not up to the task of supplying the necessary current to run the radio properly. A small relay could be added to do the heavy lifting, while the switch supplies the few milliamps to switch the relay. I bet a relay costs way less than a switch too.
Thats a great thought!!! Do you have any opinions on a good low current 12vdc relay?

So, there is a challenge with that even if I could get one. The amount boards that need to be unsoldered just to get to the solder points of the board mounted switch is significant. The operator does not want to spend the dollars for that amount of bench time. If there is a way to clean it then that would be the 1st choice and then possibly a separate on/off switch mounted on the radio. Thanks for the suggestion though!
You don't have much choice in order to replace the pot. It's tedious but doable, I've disassembled the front pcb's a few times.

Barkett has the control pots.

Reactions: Enterprise312ok
Thats a great thought!!! Do you have any opinions on a good low current 12vdc relay?
It shouldn't take much of a relay, the amp and finals are connected to power and not switched. I have used these relays ( link below ) to key amplifiers etc. they are rated for 2 amps and you can put the two contacts in parallel for 4 amps.

Had a radio like this (can't remember the model number) that had all the controls on a printed circuit board. Maybe it was a 979. You had to totally discombobble the radio to separate the controls from it and gain access to the solder side of the board. It had been smacked in the face, so we replaced the entire board with all the controls and PA switch. At least two controls were totally broken. Made replacing all of them seem sensible.

Never again.

Here was my last experience with a similar build but different issue. Like I said, it's tedious but really it's not that bad. Desoldering, cleaning, a steady hand and you can whip it. Once you get to the control pot be careful with the pcb vias that the pot pins mount to, they are delicate.
Post in thread '959 DX GALAXY-NO SOUND' https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/959-dx-galaxy-no-sound.159545/post-779058

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Had a radio like this (can't remember the model number) that had all the controls on a printed circuit board. Maybe it was a 979. You had to totally discombobble the radio to separate the controls from it and gain access to the solder side of the board. It had been smacked in the face, so we replaced the entire board with all the controls and PA switch. At least two controls were totally broken. Made replacing all of them seem sensible.

Never again.

Discombobble? That actually sounds like the perfect word for it!!

I had a discussion with the owner and he really wanted his radio back quickly (which is fine). I gave him a few options. Install a toggle switch on the side of the radio (my least favorite), install a relay that might work (to long of a time frame for him) or wire it so it's always on. He could some other method to control the power like unplugging it or installing a relay on the truck battery and controlled by the accessory power of the truck. He opted for the toggle switch. The location was a challenge as he uses the bracket mounting holes when its installed. Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this!!

Attachments

• 20240522_183547.jpg
    20240522_183547.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1