• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy dx 959 swr alert

Vogeypohl

Mar 7, 2022
I have a Galaxy dx 959 my first cb (actually got 2 for 240 us ) installed in my peterbilt 579 removed the original antenna replace with a.k40 open coil antena in factory mount behind the sleeper. Ran a new Wilson coax and when I key up the mic in am the swr alert light comes on but the meter never shows more than 1

Are you using an external SWR meter or the one on the radio?
I would be checking everything, connectors pinched coax etc. Also. Check grounds. If everything checks good then I would open the radio and there is an adjustment for the SWR. Some are to sensitive and needs a minor adjustment. I've seen this on some Cobras..

My .02

Sorry bout the multiple posts. My phone is being uncooperative. I had typed out a lengthy response that it decided to not share with the group. So hear goes again. When you say pinched are you meaning a tight bend or physically squeezed between 2 things? I've got no tight bends but there is a couple spots were it tucks between plastic panels they are all held in place with clips i wouldn't think they exert all that much pressure on the cable. But then again I really don't know much about anything at this point. I did just purchase enough 12g wire to make 3-4 runs from the antenna mount down to the frame in an attempt to improve the ground. I'll be replacing the 12g with 00g when I get home as I've got plenty left from the dozen runs front to back for my car stereo.

Would using the k40 big coil antenna in between the sleeper and trailer with only a foot of the whip sticking out above the truck cause this? Now that I added the extra ground (made sure it contacts the mount not the inner part isolated with plastic ring) the swr light comes on when I release the mic in usb and lsb n the meter twitches. Still doesn't move when in am though

Switch your Radio to SWR - and modulate - if the needle bounces anywhere close to 2 then the SWR light will go on,

If so, then you might want to look at the SWR Riser card in the back of the radio...

Locate the SMD side of that card and look for C5 - it should be a 223 Resistor SMD

1646690896756.png

emoved the original antenna replace with a.k40 open coil antena in factory mount behind the sleeper. Ran a new Wilson coax and when I key up the mic in am the swr alert light comes on but the meter never shows more than 1

It's when you Modulate - you say you're using the "Factory Mount" - I have to take you at your word on this.

Why?

Well, when the SWR Riser card "sees" a really low SWR - "C5" either by cap or Resistor - doesn't have much of an Error Signal (Reflected) to amplify so the Light stays off.

A small bump of Reflected SWR - then the SWR light begins to act like an MOD (Modulation) light - because the Reflection when the Signal is modulated - is just enough to trigger that light to go on - the rest is all from that reflection bump when you change antennas.

1646699568313.png

Part of the reason this works is due to what is used
above that seam - it's fiberglass
- it's the "ultra loft" extra bunk where the Grapes,
or the Lumpers Crap - is stored.
So little to no reflection.​

Nothing like firing 150W linear into the back of your cranium.

The Electronics in the Reefer (if you have one) can get errant along the trip due to the RF bleeding into the sensors - one day you may have Frozen fish, the next day a stinky mess and an empty Reefer fuel tank caused by the RF making the thing think it's not right and run all the time. Be sure to keep that in mind when you run power.

Now, to me, when people start using "Factory Mount" and Sleeper at the same time in the same sentence meaning that it where it's located - I can't help but think "Duck". One from the 13'6" clearance thwacking the whip - and the sheer ignorance at the reason why "Factory Mount" and Poorly performing, High-SWR laden issues like this come up.

It's a wonder you can even use that thing.

1646699279997.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Crawdad
It may take a few more bucks and a bit more work but there's always a way to get an antenna mounted in a better location on today's big trucks. The MFGers would have to try hard to find a worse place than between the bunk and the trailer nose.

Last edited:
When on swr it dont reach 1 even. I can hear others very clear at times. Though In doubt anyone can hear me as havnt gotten a single response yet lol. I got a Wilson spring mount. And am keeping my eye peeled for a 5 or 6' topload antenna when at truck stops.

On a side note what do you guys prefer 1 antenna or 2? I think the open coils angled forward on mirrors looks sharp n with as many as n I've seen the last couple weeks I have to think it works at least decently?

The very first thing that needs to be done is find out what your SWR is with the new antenna. This needs to be done with an external SWR meter or an an antenna analyzer. The built in meter in the radio is not good enough for this. If you can't get your SWR down to 1.5 or less you will have to fix the antenna system before you go opening up the radio. Have you ever actually checked the SWR in that truck with the mount in that location?

Reactions: 144inBama
I haven't checked it with anything other then the radios meter. I was going to buy a external meter today but upon looking at it i noticed I'd need to get another coax cable. And didn't see one available there. I'm very much just starting out literally. I flew out to Chicago a week ago bought the semi. And haven't been home yet. So far I've installed the cb tried using it with stock coax (even though it had wrong end on it one for a car radio antenna). Then I bought the k40 open coil and the Wilson mini 8 coax installed them and well you know. I also tried the original antenna on a Wilson spring mount. No difference. I didn't buy a reffer trailer just a reg dry van. Haven't had any luck yet finding mounts for the mirrors yet though I'm thinking of using mounts like the factory one on the sides of the sleeper (was always intending to run 2 antenna just did the 1 off the bat because I'm not at home limited tools and monkeying around with this during my 10hr breaks

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
On a side note what do you guys prefer 1 antenna or 2? I think the open coils angled forward on mirrors looks sharp n with as many as n I've seen the last couple weeks I have to think it works at least decently?
Can you get your mechanic guys to install it?

You answered your own question!

Get that out of that backside and out towards the side and front, they need to do the work they need to do to be any sort of effective system.

Else you'll be stuck scrolling across your phones screen...swiping Left and Right...

Reactions: ShadowDelaware

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.