• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX 979 YES or NO???

w4bss

Aug 7, 2011
Im looking to buy a small SSB / AM radio to run in the truck. It will be used on 38LSB and AM to talk to the locals. I have been researching about the Galaxy DX 979 and im just wanting to get some reviews from actual users. I know this radio will drift but I got to have a small radio and this fits the bill. How about the modulation on AM & SSB is it loud & clear or just TOO LOUD??

Thanks!

That 9X9 Series of radios have the easy 2-wire channel mod for lots of extra channels. I would get the 959 which will give you the Frequency Counter so you can easily know where you're at on the extra channels. I think you can still get them cheap at H&Y, like $105

good luck

I own one of these radios and I like it. The price, size and capabilities of the DX979 is what was important to me. You can easily research the web to find out who has a good reputation for setting up these radios.

The Uniden 980 seems like a great unit for the money, but those darn beeps it makes is a certain deal breaker for me.

The drift issue on the DX979 (like most things you read online) has been blown out of proportion.

I personally would not spend more money on a radio than the DX979, before I would just pay-up and get a really good 10 meter like the CRE-8900 or HAM.

Reactions: 1 person
I've been running a 979 refurb for 3 months now with a skip shooter knockoff in a 96 f250. I can happily report that I have great feedback on how it sounds, and the receive is awesome! I have heard British Columbia checking in, not bad considering I live in Memphis Tn. As far as drift is concerned I notice some when it is warming up, but seems to be solid after that!

Reactions: 1 person
I'm just a newbie on here but I believe the results from people in different locations using different antennas will not give you the answers you are seeking... I have a cobra 148 (Chinese) in a Country Cadillac=Dodge Ram with just a mag mount Wilson 5000. It gets out good and receives excellent barefoot but when I put the same radio in the wife's Grand Cherokee with a K40 mag mount it's horrible... We are on flat land it N. C. (My Example=same radio, different results...)

Last edited:
Reactions: Slowmover
I am just relating the experience I am having with my set up, and for a lot of posters knowing the set up is half the battle. If me and others on here don't post their setup how will anybody know if it is a similar situation to theirs? If we didn't how would the OP know if I'm using a 979 As a base station or in a mobile setup? It sounds like you have some issue with your grand Cherokee. I have no doubt if you swap coax and antenna the prob will go away.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.