• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX 979 YES or NO???

Owned one and sold it.It was good when it worked peaked it swung about 30 watts talkback was very nice and it looked great until the damn thing had some ground issues bad solder.

I've had the 959, and 979 both would get a hum when the volume was turned down. Tech said it comes from the backlit face. IMO the Uniden 980 is a stellar performer, even straight out of the box.

It all depends on what mode of operation you use the most. If it's AM, then the Galaxy might be the better bet. If you use SSB more than AM, the uniden would be the way to go IMO.
And a couple questions.
Do you live where it's cold?
Like I said above, what is your preferred mode of operating, AM or SSB?
How much do you have to spend?
Reason for the last question is there are better radios for a little more. The Galaxy 979 will do better on AM, but won't keep up with the 980 as far as frequency drift is concerned. You'll get people that tell you they don't drift after they warn up, but I can pick them out just about every time on air as they move around so much. They get warm or kind of hot and they are off frequency, if it's cold, you have to let them warm up for however long it takes to get them to try to stay on frequency. These are just my own experiences with the ones I have owned. And I have a 980 as well and it was dead on frequency out of the box. Get s good mic like an RF Limited 2018 extreme or even try one of the new Palmomar sl41 mics if you don't like the way the stock mic sounds. Even the cobra power mics don't sound bad on them. And I would also recommend either a heat sink or small fan for the back end of the 980 especially if you rag chew a lot. JMHO's.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrgumby
Have one sitting here needs repair.

And some mods. Clarifier, etc.
Bought it 2013? (Vietnam)

No frequency counter, but has that plug on back.

This wasn’t in service longest, but, man, rode hard and put up wet!
I must’ve kept this in the pickup. Can’t recall.

Will be going to another truck driver after work finished.
Already have the KL-203 to go with it.

Just have to build the power cord for his Pete.
Has decent antenna set already, and an A-636 mic.
He gets to buy the WM DSP Speaker.

Gonna modify one of the Apache 3800 cases to ship it out with the above — and all the original package contents — plus a Cobra or Uniden External Speaker.

The I.O.U. for help he’s given me. Driving New England as truck driver ain’t recommended unless you’re a local. (He is). Made my trips there fantastically easier

Young man whose farm takes all his paycheck.

I’d happily recommend a DX-979 to anyone.

.1F00862F-BA4A-4C5B-BBD4-2D439CE9EF2A.jpeg

Last edited:
w4bss, Have a look at this. Might be worth considering also instead of the 979.

The DX86V I recently acquired is the reason the 979 is heading to a new home. Both fit the tight confines of a big truck.

The DX-99v2 goes to the pickup. The Uniden 980 is backup for both.
It’s RF Gain isn’t suitable, and the Receive on AM is noisy.
I like it, but . . the Galaxy’s are easier to live with all day long.

And one needn’t take eyes off the road to adjust them as with a digital.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Have the same 979 sitting out on counter as driver above got out of OTR.

Need to have protection diode replaced (spark jumped gap a few years back while plugging in), and then mate this to a KL-7405 purchased recently re DK + swing.

The majority of big trucks I’ve been assigned will fit both units into the overhead. Tight, but do-able (and to make coax + power runs).

Haven’t decided what mic to add, but maybe it’s time to dedicate one of several RK-56s laying around here.

Anyone else running a 979 as mobile these days?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.