• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX86V mods

it's great to see that they have included the current specs in the bias setting procedure for this radio.
i don't remember them doing that in other mosfet galaxys, but i could be wrong.

i do want to point out that the way they worded it can cause a bit of confusion.
it might seem like they are saying to first adjust the driver for 50mA and then re-adjust it for 4 volts DC on the gate, but that is NOT the way to do it.

what they want you to do is to be monitoring both the voltage on the gate and the quiescent current at the same time, making sure both end up close to specs.

there comes a point in the bias adjustment where the current starts climbing super fast, and if you're not monitoring it, you won't know it's happening.

so, set the driver bias for 50mA, while watching the DC voltmeter, and if you need to nudge the adjustment up to get to the 4 volts, make sure the current doesn't shoot up when you do it.

for me, i set them at 50mA and check the DC voltage, and if it's anywhere from say 3.2 to 3.8 volts, then i call it good.

the same goes for the finals, with one additional note.
because it's a dual final radio, it's more important that both finals have the same amount of current going to them then having the exact same voltages on the gate IMO.

if someone thinks differently on that, i would be happy to learn why.
LC

What he needs is help.

IF he did not charge that which is being charged for now - even though it PLAINLY shows it was free - you're paying for it.

He would have a lot more flies if he quit using vinegar.

I know this is a Zombie thread, but i picked up a used, modded DX86v, and i'd like to get it back to 10m. i tried reverse-engineering the mods in one of the videos, unplugged the 3rd molex on the band board, resoldered the blob... but i can't get it back. any ideas?

I know this is a Zombie thread, but i picked up a used, modded DX86v, and i'd like to get it back to 10m. i tried reverse-engineering the mods in one of the videos, unplugged the 3rd molex on the band board, resoldered the blob... but i can't get it back. any ideas?
I believe pin G is what you are looking for? 28.300 - 28.760 ? The different pins have different banks of channels. The factory solder blob locks it to the bank that the pin does. Remove blob and jumper to pin G or you could move the pins in the molex plug and plug it back in to get the pins you want. Then you can select it with the switch on the front.

Just did the mic gain mod. The R176 resistor gets changed from 270k ohms to 330k ohms. My resistor kit did not have a 330k, so I stuck a trimmer in there. I set it with my meter and then cut the extra leg off, and it dropped right in. Then adjusted it while listening to myself on my monitor radio. I turned it all the way down, and then slowly back up. It got to the point where I keep turning, but wasn't getting much louder, so I left it there. It was right about where I had set it with the meter. Now the Astatic 636L is back in action.

View attachment 48491
@Shadetree Mechanic
Thanks for sharing this mic amp mod, I tried the 330k on a 797 today and wow did it make a difference. So much difference that it made the stock sra-198 mic to where it's usabe with the radio.

Thank you sir

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Just did the mic gain mod. The R176 resistor gets changed from 270k ohms to 330k ohms. My resistor kit did not have a 330k, so I stuck a trimmer in there. I set it with my meter and then cut the extra leg off, and it dropped right in. Then adjusted it while listening to myself on my monitor radio. I turned it all the way down, and then slowly back up. It got to the point where I keep turning, but wasn't getting much louder, so I left it there. It was right about where I had set it with the meter. Now the Astatic 636L is back in action.

View attachment 48491
I've got a curiosity about this mod but in the same circuit of the 2950.

So here below is the same resistor value (marked 274) used in the 2950 circuit but smd version. Has anyone ever tried subbing a 330k in this application? The circuit is essentially the same from what I can tell without a schemo.
Screenshot_20231117_194547_Gallery.jpg
The 2950dx6 sounds good but not great with an aftermarket mic. It needs a little gain to compensate for say the Astatic mic.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I've got a curiosity about this mod but in the same circuit of the 2950.

So here below is the same resistor value (marked 274) used in the 2950 circuit but smd version. Has anyone ever tried subbing a 330k in this application? The circuit is essentially the same from what I can tell without a schemo.
View attachment 66394
The 2950dx6 sounds good but not great with an aftermarket mic. It needs a little gain to compensate for say the Astatic mic.
What audio chip does it use? The resistor changed in the mod is for the negative feedback. It goes from the output of the audio amp to the inverted input which is 180 degrees out of phase. Making the resistor bigger reduces the signal thereby increasing the gain. I would look up the chip just to make sure.

What audio chip does it use? The resistor changed in the mod is for the negative feedback. It goes from the output of the audio amp to the inverted input which is 180 degrees out of phase. Making the resistor bigger reduces the signal thereby increasing the gain. I would look up the chip just to make sure.
That's a great idea, I'll have to crack it open and have a better look. Not sure when I can get around to it but I'll report back.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?