• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX86V

WECSOG

Jan 1, 2020
This new radio caught my attention, and I was thinking about getting one... until I found out that it doesn't cover the low end of 10. According to what I have read, it starts at 28.7 or thereabouts. That makes it worthless for 10M SSB operation.

I really like the looks of it otherwise. No huge deal that it doesn't do FM. I would prefer to have FM (and repeater splits), but I can live without it or use a different rig for that. But what's the point of an export SSB rig that's worthless on 10M?

Now if somebody comes up with a tricky mod that adds coverage via external switches or the like, I might reconsider. I know some folks prefer keeping the factory appearance, but I kinda like the cobbled-together look with added mystery boxes and whatnot. Mad scientist and all that.

this radio was never meant to be used on 10 meters.
i don't say that because of spectral purity, or because it has a channel selector or blah blah blah.

it's because when modified, it becomes a 40 channel SSB CB radio that has a little switch on the front that selects either 40 upper channels, or 40 lower channels.

it's the most useful set up for regular old CB DXing, and is super simple to switch around.
no hi lo or anything like that.

i like the radio, and while there were things i didn't like, they are pretty much the same things i don't like about any ranger/ galaxy style chassis.

the VCO isn't the most stable thing in the world. it works but could be better.
the mosfet driver and finals really want to run away, and if you set them with just gate voltage, you will never see this.
the VCO coils are way too sensitive and respond way too harshly to minor adjustments.

that being said, if i had one i would keep it.
LC

Yeah I know, but most export "10 Meter" radios actually are usable on 10 Meters, both before and after the mod. This one isn't, unless your only interest on 10 is AM.

That puts it out of the running for me, because I want to be able to use it for 10M SSB as well as 11M AM and SSB.

Reactions: Tokin
yeah you are right, this radio doesn't really provide the opportunity to use both 10 and 11 meters as it is.
i would imagine that it's not too difficult to modify it to do both, but i found the power drops off on the band edges as it is, which means that going for more than 120 channels no matter where they are is not going to be that great.
LC

Reactions: WECSOG
I would suggest to maintain 10m usable maybe a 99v2. It has 8 bands and does the 10m normal areas like 28.425 and such. Bells has for each radio a click link showing the freq for each band. The other option is the RCI 2950 with will retain the 10/11m or the Lincoln 2+ which will do 10/11/12 post conversion.

I have and use the 86v and yes it's just CB and uppers and lowers after conversion. Mine has a 10k switch mod but I don't really see the need for that option IMO. The receive is "hot" but when set at like 11am on the RF gain you get good RX without a lot of that hiss noise.

Post tune I'm seeing about 35w peak swing on SSB (I set power knob to hit say 25-30 on my voice peaks to run my amp). I don't really run AM much at all. I did have an external freq counter wires up/in to show me the extra digit over the factory built in one and the clarifier is unlocked. Gives me a little peace of mind. Unit takes about 20 minutes to "warm" up. I run as base only so your purpose may vary.

B391D59F-8A9C-49F8-8045-59829617EE1B.jpeg

Keep in mind the clarifier on the 5555 saves setting for each channel. So if you go up say 2 clicks for 27.385 and move over to 27.375 you will be at TDC for that even if the clairifier says it's not. They are software driven even though it has knobs. It's basically the 6666 but with knobs, a little less power, and only 1 IF filter (AT6666 has 2 filters)

I had the AT5555 and I did like it though overall. Also the CW mode does not work on the 5555.

There’s been some other posts on this radio...pretty sure it’s been said that full band coverage is in there, just not with how the switch is set up.

Anyway, it’s made to be an export cb, with the old standard “uppers and lowers” like a Superstar 121. 120 channel radios are still popular with hunters here.

Reactions: NZ8N and WECSOG
There’s been some other posts on this radio...pretty sure it’s been said that full band coverage is in there, just not with how the switch is set up.

Anyway, it’s made to be an export cb, with the old standard “uppers and lowers” like a Superstar 121. 120 channel radios are still popular with hunters here.
I read that somewhere too. If true, I would definitely consider it. Depending on exactly what it can cover, of course. As I said before, I am not averse to adding a box with some additional switches.

Keep in mind the clarifier on the 5555 saves setting for each channel. So if you go up say 2 clicks for 27.385 and move over to 27.375 you will be at TDC for that even if the clairifier says it's not. They are software driven even though it has knobs. It's basically the 6666 but with knobs, a little less power, and only 1 IF filter (AT6666 has 2 filters)

I had the AT5555 and I did like it though overall. Also the CW mode does not work on the 5555.
Which 5555 did you have? The original is now in its 6th iteration, plus the 5555N makes 7. I know the first couple versions were pretty weak. I've heard they fixed that. The V6 is the one I am interested in. I like its looks and feature set, and the fact that you can program it via software with up to 60 channels (that you choose) per bank.

Which 5555 did you have? The original is now in its 6th iteration, plus the 5555N makes 7. I know the first couple versions were pretty weak. I've heard they fixed that. The V6 is the one I am interested in. I like its looks and feature set, and the fact that you can program it via software with up to 60 channels (that you choose) per bank.

I had the regular 5555 v6. I did a short post about it back in 2018 on here.

Anytone 5555 v6 review..

Last edited:
I have an 86v and a 99v2 and I like them. About a 20min warm up to be stable on frequency. 99% of my time is on 11m so the 86v fits that perfect for me. After conversion, the 99v2 covers all the frequencies that you said you are looking for. The only downside to the 99v2 from the 86v is it loses the backlit faceplate, and its a bit larger in size. I also have a Lincoln II+ and the locals say my SSB audio out is better quality on the LincolnII+. Truckers seem to like the AM from the Galaxy better.

I have the 99v2, but were I starting today it’d be the 86 simply because it will fit the overhead cabinet of a company-spec fleet tractor.

78CDB5DD-018F-4095-8D90-70A519594146.jpeg

Use of the 99 means the 2’ faceplate has to be removed.

Not clean, and may make the factory shop suspicious you’ve done worse behind the scenes.

The 86 or 99 still require one make a power run to the battery bank.

The AM/SSB Galaxy 86 is pretty much ideal for a trucker where time on AM-19 is the priority, but SSB is available. (No point to owning a radio without it).

The Galaxy 979 (which I own) just doesn’t have the “punch” of a double final radio, though it is the same size as the 86.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.