1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Galaxy DX86V

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by WECSOG, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

Received the radio featured in that post as I was leaving town (literally). Tossed it in while getting loaded to replace the 99v2 shown in my post above.

The 99v2 has been destined while for my pickup truck. Will need to send it and amp out to be paired up best as it also needs an alignment.

The before/after of putting the 86v is the clarity improvement in audio. AM or Sideband. SSB much easier to chase last night. I knew the 99 was off, but now I have an idea of how far.

Now, (this is for Dan, ha!) installing the MORGAN 411b bandpass filter cleans it up even further (the WM ClearSpeaker ain’t ALL of it).

Mobile, this is the quietest rig yet.

Ferrites onto every cable of every type.

Antenna feedpoint choke & coax choke at radio. KL203p & 411b in-between.

Antenna mount still lousy, but bonding the (4) door hinges helped move that project along.

It’s a nice radio, CB590. I’m pleased to have it. As in my other posts, it — like the single-final 979 — is a much better fit for a big truck than the 99v2. Your packaging was such it was like-new.

That it also performs so nicely shows me — without question — my 99v2 needs service. (Owned since 2014).

GALAXY DX99v2

Or

Galaxy DX86v

Either one nice to have as a mobile unit.

2NC995, WECSOG and Shadetree Mechanic like this.

2. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

Getting ready to move this back into the Pete. Had the 99v2 in while using a wide-body rack.

Found the extended narrow-body (Cobra 29 width) rack to swap with.

CB590, I can’t recall what mic you were using.

I’m gonna run thru the usual 3-4 before I leave again.

WECSOG likes this.
  3. CB590

CB590 W9WDX Member

Workman 507-4 cheapy and the Night Eagle D104. Both worked better than the factory audio. But no noise reduction on either. I used the radio as a base.

Slowmover likes this.
  4. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

Have had this radio out of the Pete as I chased yet more install-related problems by using the U-980 (as its a noisy receive sensitive to changes).

Big breakthrough yesterday in learning I could reduce the NEG power lead to under 1’ versus the current 15’.

Tomorrow I learn if I can reduce the POS lead from 20’ (at BATT) down to 8’.

10’ TTL versus 35’ TTL and will also upsize wiring from 10-AWG to 6-AWG (new distribution panel to accommodate the feed).

The U-980 was always meant to be Radio #2 (backup) to the Galaxy 86v.

Spent hours the day previous to that in climbing up & down the Peterbilt exterior to test seven (7) antenna configurations of the Wilson 2000 pair. Coil now higher and SWR down below 1.5:1 across all 40.

No, this 86v isn’t the same as my 99v2 . . . but it sure takes a lot less space to do almost the same. I’m excited at getting it back in the rack after the other changes are finalized.

Mobile, it’s hard not to like a Galaxy where performance has had some verification. Easy to use & long-term reliable.

As to mics, tested with Radios #1 & 2 (positions switched) the Astatic 636L was miles ahead of the other six (6). Over the speaker (two types) and also with headphones. (As a result just bought one wired for the Uniden 6-pin; excellent comments by other drivers; unsolicited and solicited).

#19 Slowmover, Jan 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    WECSOG and NZ8N like this.
  5. Jaws843

Jaws843 Member

Do any of you know the adjustments for the DX86v? Cant find them anywhere.

6. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

Nope. Tech data has not yet been published that I can find.

7. Grogan

Grogan W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Also looking for tune-up locations for The DX-86V great radio. Thanks for any info.

8. Grogan

Grogan W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Still no teck data for tune-up?

: 10M, Galaxy, export