• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone 5555 v6 review..

CB590

W9WDX Member
Jun 29, 2016
Trenton Nj
www.590dx.com
So I just got it in. The Anytone AT-5555, was going to sell it quick. But decided to see the RF power myself..

IMG_20180827_223942526_LL.jpg

No recent info really on line.. the revisions brought changes.. none really noted on newer videos.

It has mic gain in function menu IC9. It's set at 31 from factory.. goes to 61 or 64.. version 3 and less didn't have this menu..

Front RF power knob goes from 1/2w to about 12.5w on AM.. Good for low drive amps..

At lowest setting I get like 1/2w DK

At 7 o'clock I get 1.5w DK. Perfect for RM amps..

IMG_20180827_215356341.jpg

At 3 o'clock I get 12w or so. Notice 100w switch position.

IMG_20180827_215452839.jpg

I turned to about 10 o'clock for SSB mode with a whistle to get up near 6-9w carrier with modulation..

Going to hook up 203 tommorow for further testing.. stay tuned..

Last edited:

Getting ready to go today.. waiting on visiting son to get up..

Other first impressions

Channel changer if going fast skips a channel or doesn't move sometimes. (My Lincoln 2+ did that as well occasionally.)

Stock mic feels cheesy (RD104e or 636L will be inbound for it).. since unit has mic gain on front I'm not sure which way to go.

Hammadeparts on EB has upon contact started making 4 pin crossover cables for $16. 4-4 without pin #4 deleted as it is powered on this radio.. always note pin 4 is HOT..

I like the big display.

The RF power knob is sensitive below say 2-3w. I will always be looking at the power meter before kicking on any amp attached..

Why did they have to go AM to FM, then sideband?? That FM burst is loud.

I did see a video last night of Twitch 407 showing similar output. His on high power would swing about 30w on AM mode. On low he was swinging from 2w to about 7w on AM with talking..

I know nothing about this radio. I’ve been interested in it though so I’m curious to see the whole review. I was the kid on the bus that licked the windows, so pics are required in this thread. Lots of pics. Hahaha.

Ok further testing with 203 today..

First had to turn off the tSR was giving me false HI readings on SSB without anything running just high power from front knob.. kinda annoying. I activated the SWR upon TX function and noticed spikes of only 1.4 or so on SSB.. so there circuit for that is off. This also was noted on prior Lincoln 2+ review I did last year.

At 7 oclock as noted earlier I was able to push a 30w or so DK with RM203 on..

IMG_20180828_095726488.jpg

At 9 o'clock position on SSB I was able to whistle and pin my 100w meter with 203 on.. this was 3-6w carrier whistle.

IMG_20180828_095610137.jpg

Mic gain turned up to 50 out of 64.. got good audio report from driver..

Ordered 4pin-4pin mic cable adapter from HamMadeParts on EB..

Last edited:
Now to ponder just grabbing another 203 for the truck (like I had with the McKinley) or ugrading to the RM503 for just $159 shipped from here in US..

The 503 has the same input specs.. 1-6w dk, 10w max AM, 20w max SSB input.. the out is about 200w AM and 300w on SSB per videos I've seen..

The 203 is less than $80 all day long.. about 100w AM and 140w SSB..

Thoughts anyone??

I want this to be a DX base rig.. running an A99..

Now to ponder just grabbing another 203 for the truck (like I had with the McKinley) or ugrading to the RM503 for just $159 shipped from here in US..

The 503 has the same input specs.. 1-6w dk, 10w max AM, 20w max SSB input.. the out is about 200w AM and 300w on SSB per videos I've seen..

The 203 is less than $80 all day long.. about 100w AM and 140w SSB..

Thoughts anyone??

I want this to be a DX base rig.. running an A99..

According to those in the know, it takes a fourfold increase in power to see an increase of one S Unit on the other end.

If the 203 gives you 100 watts AM, you need something giving you 400 watts to make the upgrade worthwhile. The 503 doesn't do that.

Reactions: sp5it and CB590
So now the Mic question.. Astatic RD104e amplified or Astatic 636L regular??

Unless you have five youngsters constantly running around the house playing or four barking dogs, I wouldn't use a noise canceling mic on base. I've never had a Road Devil but have heard good things about them. Just my two cents. Which, in today's world, are worth only a fraction of that. Maybe someone with that particular radio will chime in with what they're using. :)

I want pics, inside and out, upside down. I want feature reviews, the good, bad and the ugly. How is it on sideband?

I’m licking the windows again, give me a bone here...

How’s the receive in it? How far down can you turn the RF gain and still hear signals?

Reactions: Rwb
I want pics, inside and out, upside down. I want feature reviews, the good, bad and the ugly. How is it on sideband?

I’m licking the windows again, give me a bone here...

How’s the receive in it? How far down can you turn the RF gain and still hear signals?

Good on sideband apparently on freq., Just talked to a guy 17miles away on 38 LSB. I was able to whistle to about 22w with RF knob all the way up running barefoot..

RF can be turned down to 10 o'clock before signal.drops off. I'm leving mine set at 1 o'clock. Can hear weaker stations without noise floor being annoying.

Internal pics coming soon.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.