• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy full 10 Meter band

Galaxy a glorified cb is terribly insulting to those who appreciate CBs.

They are what they are.

Sure, they sound okay on SSB.

What would you prefer? A glorified CB or a glorified HAM rig?

CBs generally lack the ability to fine tune things. They're laid out VERY simply. This is sometimes a good thing, however, it's not good when YOU NEED access to a feature.

Lack of CW function is what kills it for me though...

In answer to your question

*I prefer both as I understand them to be, because I know what each does, and appreciate them for what they are. I have no need for CW, but it seems nice enough to have in case I want to practice my keying. I can see that you prefer a lot of "features" that qualify your radio to be a "AMATEUR" rig, right?
*Given what you understand them to be and referring to what you see the Galaxy as, I would have to say that I'd rather have a epitomized CB (not glorified- because the Galaxy is higher performance than a CB, not fake or pretending) than a wannabe professional aka "AMATEUR" rig like you prefer, if you want to get down to the details. Thanks.

Wars have been won

Wars have been won using half duplex VHF FM gear with but a few knobs on the radio. Fancy features on a "AMATEUR" rig doesn't make an AMATEUR hobbyist any more special, funny how some AMATEURS use smoke and mirrors language to sound more intelligent. :confused:

Wars have been won using half duplex VHF FM gear with but a few knobs on the radio. Fancy features on a "AMATEUR" rig doesn't make an AMATEUR hobbyist any more special, funny how some AMATEURS use smoke and mirrors language to sound more intelligent. :confused:

Not at all. I enjoy a transmitter made out of scraps of wire and a crystal.

However, I do enjoy having features at my disposal.

Such as, the RCI2970/2950s capability to actually work split, so I can make use of duplex FM repeaters. Granted, no tone board is installed. However, Ranger does provide instructions on installing common tone boards available on the market.

I'll take a VFO hooked up to a frequency display any day...I'm just not a fan of the channel readout + switch configuration. It feels VERY tacky. Hence why I don't really have any repurposed commercial gear in my possession.

i've used a Galaxy 95T on ten meters with great reports on the audio just last weekend during some band openings. with out a doubt galaxies have great audio on SSB & AM. true they are a little drifty and don't have VFO tuning a little aukward to tune to freqs like 28.4000 but they do hold there own with the audio quality with the audiophiles on amature radio. i prefer to use my 2970N2 on 10 meters for simplicity and more options for 10,11 & 12 meters, but when it comes down to it honestly a PROPERLY TUNED Galaxy with the right mic combo will sound as good as any high end amature rig on 10 meters. true Galaxy radios have gadgets to play with for 11 meter AM operation but you don't have to use them and after all isn't really just a toy to have fun with. hell most guys on 10 meters snub there noses at 2950's 2970's as well as 2510's. i get a chuckle when on 10 meters i make a contact with some guy some place around the world and they start spouting off about there using Icom 756 pro running 800 watts into a tri-bander yagi at 80' and i'm talking to them on my base with a HR-2510 or a 2970N2 into a Antron 99, i can hear it there voice the snub exspecially when they act like they don't know what a HR-2510 is. you gotta love it. even i the mobile when i tell mr. Icom tri bander i'm running a Galaxy 95T or 2970N2 and a 17" shaft 10k preditor antenna you can feel the snub vibe when they ask you again for you call sign so they can check qrz.com to make sure your not some out of band cber.

10 METER BAND?

I still think you will NOT work the entire band with this rig.Does it have SPLIT or a TONE BOARD so you can work the 10 meter FM machines?:oops:

SIX-SHOOTER

the magum 257 loses its ctcss tone ablily once you convert it over to cb use.
of course it depends if you have active 10m repeters in your area. adding a tone board to a rci 29xx is really simple with the modern dx radios. i suggest one of those if you are considering a duel band radio. otherwise if you can swing it a used icom mk or kenwood ts 50-s make supreme mobile hf rigs.

No Sir, the Galaxy does not have any PL tone or split ability. My primary goal with this rig is to be able to work AM in the lower 29 MHz area if I ever hear anyone. I guess I'm waiting on sunspots now. It should work out well for me

according to the accepted bandplan - there is no am use on ten meters, and the lower 29mhz is reserved for satellite work.

There is a AM sub band from 29.000 to 29.200, but when the band is open, and anyone is there you will find most AM at 29.100
It was popular during the Last Cycle, but not much going on up there lately.
As the conditions improve, it should pick up again.
Sat work is just above the AM sub band.

Jeff

On Edit
See Link below.

Band Plan

Last edited:
Reactions: NZ8N
There is a AM sub band from 29.000 to 29.200, but when the band is open, and anyone is there you will find most AM at 29.100
It was popular during the Last Cycle, but not much going on up there lately.
As the conditions improve, it should pick up again.
Sat work is just above the AM sub band.
Jeff
Sigh... I run a whole pile of "export radios" on 10M: OmegaForce S45HP, General Grant, Superstar 158EDX, OPTIMA, HR2510, plus several others. It's a fun side of the hobby to run fancy-schmancy CB radios on 10! ;) Normally I just use either the S45HP, or the OPTIMA on 10. I very frequently check the 29 Mhz portion for AM activity, but nada... very disappointing. BTW - the OF S45HP will do CTCSS. It's an "undocumented feature": In 10M mode, just hit "Function" plus "LCR" and the symbol "RPT" will appear on the display, signifying that it's transmitting the 88.5 Hz tone.

I own several radios from HF rigs Export radios CB ETC I obviously like things about some of the export radios or I wouldnt own them but rather its galaxy or Magnum I still personaly refer to them as "Glorified CB's" but thats just my choice and opinion and I dot think that its throwing stones or bashing anyone for using or liking them although there are thin skinned indaviduals that are more easily offended than others I suppose and even though its not intended to be a shot at someone it can be taken as one by these indaviduals.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.