• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy Saturn modulation problems

liquidh8

Aug 7, 2011
Ok guys, just picked up a galaxy saturn. It had some wiring hacks done, a little golden screwdrivering. I had to replace a few pots that were not adjusting anymore, and one of the finals were toast. I had an eleflow 20w i put in, have another getting ordered to put in. It does the wattage, but the modultion VR for am, and the VR for the SSB power have no effect. Also, I prety much have to yell into the mike to get the power to swing, if not, it modulates around 2-4 watts, but a loud AHHH gets me to 30+. What gives?:confused::(

Well, upon further close inspection, I found TR32 snipped, hard to see at first, so I re-soldered the legs, and I have adjustability for the VR12 and 14, SSB power and am mod. I used the test tone, retuned the RF coil chain as per the service alignment procedure, and voila! I have 100 percent modulation, it's snappy, and at the bottom of A band, and top of F band, 27-29 watts PEP Am, 34-36 SSB, in the C-D bands, I see 30-33PEP AM, 40-42SSB. That will change a bit when I have 2 elefow 20W finals, but I will be backing it down to run my KLV550. I have been trying to unscrewdriver everything and I am almost there I think.

Hey liquidh8, congrats on the radio repair.

I have a question. I own a Saturn (non Turbo), with an EPT36001OA board in it. Do you have any tips, tricks, or mods that I can do myself? I bought an M80 Modulator for it, and the instructions that came with it says the installation point is R285. I have the original owners manual, and it has the schematics, and all, but I cannot locate the R285 anywhere on the board, or the schematics. Am I wasting my time with the M80? It has been tuned, but I am not sure what has been done to it.

I also see that you mention "2 elefow 20W finals"! What are they, and what kind of power can I expect?

Thanks for any, and all help.

Lenny

Then you would love to get ahold of my Dak IX! I bought it off of eBay and when I got it, it has something rolling around inside the case so I opened it. It was a mess! The inside was gutted and a mobile radio installed. The tube side looks like someone tried to make an internal tube amp. BUT, the transformer they used on the tube side was only secured with two screws. That would have been fine, except the screw noise that I heard, was one of them. It had worked its way loose, and was flopping around inside. It had knocked the tubes out of their sockets, and bent every pin on both of them. After tinkering with it for an hour or so, and not really knowing what I was doing, I touched up some broken solder joints, solder the shielding on the coax, and straightening all the pins on the tubes, and resecuring the transformer, I plugged it in, and keyed up. I asked for a radio check on 19. It actually transmitted. I keyed up again, and as soon as I did, something popped! Not sure what, but it wasn't real loud, and the two center meters, the only two hooked up, went dead. The channel knob, what few segments that work, still lit up. I am not sure what the problem is. I am thinking that a cap blew. The radio is so old, and they only have a limited life span. I wanted an original Dak IX, but got this thing instead. I went back on eBay, and found a guy that builds custom Dak radios, and bought a crap load of parts that he had removed from one of his radios. I think I have all the parts I need, but I don't know enough about them to repair it. I went back to eBay, and bought another Dak that is supposed to work. I don't know for sure, as it hasn't arrived yet. I am trying to make a deal with a guy for another one that is original, but has burnt wires under it, so I can get two working radios out of the three, and have a parts radio. The problem is, my limited knowledge of tube equipment is causing me to be extremely worried about starting this project. I would love to have someone local to double check me when I am done. BUT, I am stuck doing it all by myself. I also lack the confidence to think that I can do it.

Lenny

That's cool. Thanks. I have the original manual with ALL the schematics of EVERY board. THAT PART IS GREAT! The problem that I run into, is I like V12 engines on bicycles! LOL. "If it is small, it should go fast"! That's my motto. In this case, the speed = RF Power. The Saturn isn't small, but why buy a "Turbo", when I can build a IMO better looking, and cheaper radio that will compare to, or surpass it? In this case, I cannot surpass the built-in amplifier, but I DO HAVE an idea that would make my radio sound just as good, with just about as many watts that the Turbo had stock. I KNOW THE BOARD CAN HANDLE THE POWER, but the component level part is my problem. I have been researching as much as I can "attempt to understand" at one time. I am picking up bits and pieces from around the web. Once(If ever), I get it done, I WILL DEFINITELY post ALL tips, and possibly a complete start to finish HOW-TO, with any and all credits where credit is due. I would appreciate AND & ALL help!

Lenny

my Galaxy SSB Melaka has the 99 board in it it only put out 4 watts now it puts out close to 25 on am , we replace the 1969 final which was bad , now it really gets out ,

Thats awesome. I don't know what exactly I am putting out, but I bought the ERF-2030 fets to put in it, but have temp lost interest. I got frustrated with it, and just gave up on it for a while. I wanna try upgrading the power section, and using 1 ERF-2030 to drive 2 ERF-7530's, or 2 ERF-2030's to drive 1 ERF-7530. Not sure if it will work, but as soon as I can afford a reliable power meter that will give me a semi-accurate reading, I am gonna try it. I have a power supply the I can use for the supply swap. That is, if I can figure out how to do it. It shouldn't be that hard. Then upgrade all the surrounding components of the finals, and do the conversion. Hoping to get atleast 100W out of it. If they can put an RFX-75 "ON" a Saturn non-Turbo, I should be able to put one "IN" it! Right?

Good luck with yours Double R.

And as always, 73s to all!

I had thought about that type of final set-up, like the rfx-75. But, my Saturn sounds fantastic on SSB. I have had soooo many people not believe it is a saturn i am talking on, local and skip. So, I don't wanna fix it if it aint broke. After fixing it, re-aligning, a few common mods, and a custom one off mic, it screams. the reason i was thinking about more power is the tube amp i am inheriting takes 100W drive for full output, and the dual finals give me about 45 +/-. But oh well, such is life. Kep us posted on your progress.

I will indeed. I am having a problem with amps at the moment. I hooked up my Boomer Elite 400HD and it is like its on SSB for some reason. It only shows the tx light on modulation. The blue streak 200 that I have works fine. I don't know what the problem is. Might take it to the local A$$, I mean tech. If you aren't a truck driver, you shouldn't have a radio in his opinion.

ebayguy How do I find the guy on e-bay that builds custom dak radios? I just got a dak lx last week off of ebay. Beautiful radio. But don't know about the plate current adjustment. Is it important?

His eBay id is l3ite_me. If you PM me your email address, I will email it to him. I don't give out email addresses just like phone numbers. Especially on a message board. I don't remember where exactly he is located though. He just built another one cuz he just sold all the parts out of it. I don't know about the plate current, as I haven't yet got a working Dak. I am talking on a Connex CX-3300HP, there is something going on with my Saturn. I have to have it looked at. It is supposed to be setup for a HD box, but when I ran my Boomer Deluxe 400HD, I blew a cap, and it sounded really muffled. My meters aren't really that accurate, so I don't know what my true DK is.

PM me your email, I will forward it to him.

I am going to be doing a checkout and tune on a regular Saturn for a friend probably next week. I don't see a listing for this at cbtricks.

I see from this thread: VR 12 - SSB / VR 14 AM Modulation

Does anyone have a link to the complete tune up on this radio or can list the adjustments?

Big thanks in advance !

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.