1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

GALAXY SATURN NO RECIEVE

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by BAGEBOY, May 25, 2021.

1. BAGEBOY

BAGEBOY Member

My galaxy saturn just stop receiving. It work fine yesterday... if i a radio is keyed near by the signal meter goes up but no small signals. So it's not a case of receive audio.tramsmit audio works. Need some help here.

2. sp5it

sp5it Master of puppets

AM/FM/SSB?

3. BAGEBOY

BAGEBOY Member

Yes

4. sp5it

sp5it Master of puppets

Does it react to rfgain knob?

5. BAGEBOY

BAGEBOY Member

It I would have to check but only signal ingotnis when I keyed my other radio other than that its quiet.

6. sp5it

sp5it Master of puppets

Check that rfgain

midnight special likes this.
  7. BAGEBOY

BAGEBOY Member

I am tryig to find the transistors or diodes for recipe as well as ideas

8. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

The very first thing to narrow down is to compare sideband to AM receive. If the problem appears only in AM that narrows down the possibilities a lot.

There are a lot of individual places in the receiver where a failure could do this.

If it's a very-old Saturn the RF Gain control could have finally failed. The oldest Saturn radios seemed to suffer from a lot of failed front-panel controls. It's easy to check. Turn the RF Gain all the way to the right, where the receive should be maxed out. The control has a black wire that goes to ground on one of the three lugs. Take a small screwdriver tip and bridge the center lug to the ground side lug. If the receive level comes up, the control has failed. And if you hear no difference, this is not the problem.

Woody-202 and NZ8N like this.
  9. 9C1Driver

9C1Driver Sr. Member

What kind of recipe ideas are you looking for?

10. BAGEBOY

BAGEBOY Member

I turn the radio on channel 6 with my cobra I had,almost 30 dB. on the saturn I had 2 dB but what I found was moving th rf gain left or right didn't make a difference. I check the rf gain control by bridging it out and still increase in signal.. really strong station s 3dB. On other radio 30db. On ssb receive but no signal movement. Recieve still low

#10 BAGEBOY, May 26, 2021
    Last edited: May 26, 2021
  11. BAGEBOY

BAGEBOY Member

Lolol I meant receive

12. nomadradio

That's a fault. A control that won't do anything is a fault by itself. And could very well be the whole problem here.

So let's try this again. It's just easier to quote myself.

13. BAGEBOY

BAGEBOY Member

14. BAGEBOY

BAGEBOY Member

I tried that first (bridging out the rf gain control)and it made no difference. I thought I had mention that.
    The recieve didn't change at all when I bridge center to ground..I checked Tr17 which I found was change from a 2sc 1674 to a 2sc2999. Replace it just to be sure no difference also replace tr18 no change

15. nomadradio

Okay, so far so good. But I'm not clear about the receiver audio. Do you hear only strong signals? Or is the speaker completely silent even if the S-meter moves?