• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

GALAXY SATURN NO RECIEVE

BAGEBOY

Oct 28, 2014
My galaxy saturn just stop receiving. It work fine yesterday... if i a radio is keyed near by the signal meter goes up but no small signals. So it's not a case of receive audio.tramsmit audio works. Need some help here.

It I would have to check but only signal ingotnis when I keyed my other radio other than that its quiet.

The very first thing to narrow down is to compare sideband to AM receive. If the problem appears only in AM that narrows down the possibilities a lot.

There are a lot of individual places in the receiver where a failure could do this.

If it's a very-old Saturn the RF Gain control could have finally failed. The oldest Saturn radios seemed to suffer from a lot of failed front-panel controls. It's easy to check. Turn the RF Gain all the way to the right, where the receive should be maxed out. The control has a black wire that goes to ground on one of the three lugs. Take a small screwdriver tip and bridge the center lug to the ground side lug. If the receive level comes up, the control has failed. And if you hear no difference, this is not the problem.

Reactions: Woody-202 and NZ8N
The very first thing to narrow down is to compare sideband to AM receive. If the problem appears only in AM that narrows down the possibilities a lot.

There are a lot of individual places in the receiver where a failure could do this.

If it's a very-old Saturn the RF Gain control could have finally failed. The oldest Saturn radios seemed to suffer from a lot of failed front-panel controls. It's easy to check. Turn the RF Gain all the way to the right, where the receive should be maxed out. The control has a black wire that goes to ground on one of the three lugs. Take a small screwdriver tip and bridge the center lug to the ground side lug. If the receive level comes up, the control has failed. And if you hear no difference, this is not the problem.

I turn the radio on channel 6 with my cobra I had,almost 30 dB. on the saturn I had 2 dB but what I found was moving th rf gain left or right didn't make a difference. I check the rf gain control by bridging it out and still increase in signal.. really strong station s 3dB. On other radio 30db. On ssb receive but no signal movement. Recieve still low

Last edited:
moving th rf gain left or right didn't make a difference.

That's a fault. A control that won't do anything is a fault by itself. And could very well be the whole problem here.

So let's try this again. It's just easier to quote myself.
It's easy to check. Turn the RF Gain all the way to the right, where the receive should be maxed out. The control has a black wire that goes to ground on one of the three lugs. Take a small screwdriver tip and bridge the center lug to the ground side lug. If the receive level comes up, the control has failed. And if you hear no difference, this is not the problem.

That's a fault. A control that won't do anything is a fault by itself. And could very well be the whole problem here.

So let's try this again. It's just easier to quote myself.
I tried that first and it made no difference. I thought I had mention that
The recieve didn't change at all when I bridge center to ground..I checked Tr17 which I found was change from a 2sc 1674 to a 2sc2999

I tried that first (bridging out the rf gain control)and it made no difference. I thought I had mention that.
The recieve didn't change at all when I bridge center to ground..I checked Tr17 which I found was change from a 2sc 1674 to a 2sc2999. Replace it just to be sure no difference also replace tr18 no change

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated