• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy Saturn warm up time

jrd426

Sep 5, 2018
Hi guys, i have one of these old guys - 6 band version that takes forever these days to warm up for ssb receive. If i dont touch anything ive got alvin the chipmonk for near 40 mins. I am familiar with this typical traite with most galaxy radios. My question is this. Is there a specific crystal in the radio that may need to warm up for ssb receive to be on frequency?

The crystal that drifts the most in that radio would be the PLL offset crystal. This is the one connected to the clarifier control. Pretty sure the frequency is 14.01 MHz in that model. One way to be sure is to tune in the crystal's output carrier with a ham or shortwave receiver that's fairly stable. Tune it in on sideband and you'll hear the drift that way.

An old buddy came up with a cure for his Saturn. He powered a 5-Volt 1-Amp regulator chip on the unregulated side of the power supply. The power switch doesn't shut off this side of the power supply, only the regulated side. This fed power to a device called a PTC thermistor. It had been salvaged from a deceased 8mm camcorder. Its job in the camcorder had been to prevent the tape-head drum from getting cold enough for humidity to condense on its surfaces. Since the device has a higher resistance as the temperature goes up, it will get warm until it reaches an equilibrium temperature and acts like a built-in thermostat. He clamped it to the side of the PLL offset crystal in his radio. The power to the thermistor was always on, so as the radio warmed up inside after it was turned on, it reduced its heat output to keep the crystal at the same temperature.

Rick never shared any before-and-after measurements, but it did make the radio a lot easier to use.

Thanks Nomad. Thats what im planning to do as well if possible. Just wanted to confirm which xtal. Ill see if i can figure out that supply voltage you describe as thats a better option then what i was planning for the ptc. Best and 73's

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.