• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Gas prices

Sonwatcher

Apr 6, 2005
Colorado
I paid $3.59 per gallon last night. Someone from a store today said they thought it would hit $4.00 by the weekend. :shock: How are your prices ?

Gas.jpg

I've seen the posted price change three times in one day at a particular local spot.

Dropped below three bucks for regular here the last couple of days, but only at Thornton's, not at the others. Gotta figure it's going to imitate a Yo-Yo for some while to come.

When prices get that chaotic, seeing them fall is NOISE, not a SIGNAL, best I can tell. They're guaranteed to go back up, any time you see them fall for even a day or two.

Makes me really glad I don't sell gasoline. One thing that gets on my nerves a little, is when folks complain that the retail price seems to jump in anticipation when wholesale prices haven't jumped up (yet). The clue here is the "yet".

Consider that if you make a nickel a gallon (not uncommon), and pay 1000 bucks to fill that big tank under the parking lot, you had better charge enough to pay for it. The next load may cost you 1200 bucks, not the 1000 you paid last time. If you charged your customers a total of 1100 for that last tanker-load, and pay 1200 to refill it, you lost 100 bucks on that load. Why? Because you didn't raise your retail resale price quickly enough. And that's the tricky part of selling gas at retail. You really want to collect enough from what you sell so you can buy another load. The more pumps you have out front, the faster you can go broke by not raising your retail price fast enough. This doesn't excuse "gougers" who double their price, but it's still a market. You can drive on past the gouger. So long as your tank's not empty yet. And THAT'S what the gouger is hoping for, plenty of folks with a fuel gauge on "E", with no choice, other than walking.

Sure, the petroleum business is full of crooks. From the towel-heads who own the wells, to the multinational trading companies who own the tankers, the refiners, wholesalers, and even politicians who steal elections with all that money.

The retail guy is at the end of the "whip". And of everybody in the chain, from the wellhead to your corner store, he's probably the most honest of the bunch.

P.S. I've been feeling an overwhelming temptation to hang a big, bright "Mission Accomplished" banner under every fuel-price sign I see that gets over three bucks. Hmmmm.

Oil prices dropped to $66 a barrell today I see. Gas prices are running anywhere from $2.96 to $3.09 here for 87.

I just figured the average distance of job locations I go to and figured if I filled up twice a week for a month my last weeks check would be almost equal to what I spent for gas for the month. So my spendable money for bills and such would be based on 3 weeks pay for the month :shock:

OUCH dude thats gotta hurt. I have a 81 gmc and it gets around 20 MPG. And i only put about $10 to $15 a week or so. But like i stated before i dont drive it around much at all. But when i get to drive it to school it will pry be $20 to $25 a week. :cry:

Lets see the oil wells are owned by whom? Big oil companys!
Wholesale crude distributors are whom? Big oil companys
Refinererys are owned by whom? Big oil companys
Local gas stations are owned by whom? Big oil companys

Do you get the point? Big oil companys decide what crude sells for cause they sell it to themselves, the so called opec is a front to try to lay blame on someone else, when it all boils down greed is biggest culprit

I heard it costs the Sauddies about $2 to produce a barrel of oil. It costs about $12 to produce a barrel of oil in the US. Then it sells for around $70.

That is capitalism. I think the price will continue to go up until the demand starts to fall. Right now, the demand keeps increasing, so why not raise the price?

well you know when you have more demand than supply then the price goes up. we can blame all the politians that didnt want to build any more refineries. its been what 15 or more years since any were built. im no expert but when a country grows like we do then the demand for energy goes up. and if we dont increase the supply of that energy then we have a shortage and high prices. i can only hope that everyone sees that we need more refineries to increase our supply to get the price down. has anyone heard how much of the federal reserve oil has been used....none the oil companies didnt need crude they just cant refine enough for our demand. and dont say fuel saving cars are the answer because we would be right back where we started in 5 to 10 years with prices because the supply doesnt reach the demand. excuse me for going on so but i drive trucks for a living and my way of living is directly affected by fuel. you guys have a great evening and i enjoy the forum.

heartbreaker said:
i can only hope that everyone sees that we need more refineries to increase our supply to get the price down.
You said it right there heartbreaker!! 100% true!

I have worked in 3 different refineries here for 6 yrs and when they are running at MAX capacity they still can't keep up with the demand.

The price of crude is what keep the prices high also. You remember when crude was down to $30 a barrel? Well, what was the price for a gallon...around $1.30?

It's lowest here in my area now is - $2.87 for 87.
-----------------
DXman

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.