1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Gather ye radios while ye may

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by Big Kahuna, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna Sr. Member

Just another FYI - I'm seeing Chinese manufacturers quoting 10-25% higher for products in the last couple of months and shipping costs have skyrocketed - containers are costing 50% more to get them across the pond.

What does this mean? Inflation on consumer products is not going to slow down anytime soon. I expect with shortages and these costs in China going up that many consumer products could see price increases of 25% or more in the next year.

Since just about everything comes from China - costs on everything will continue to rise.

So if you've been eyeing a particular new radio or accessory, I'd pull the trigger sooner rather than later. I know I picked up three things I've been wanting for a while and now I'm set.

Inflation is here for at least the next 6-12 months regardless of what you read in the news.

Rwb, whiteastro, TheRATT and 11 others like this.

2. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

Never really went away for anyone poor enough to have to work.

Rwb, 338_MtRushmore, S&W357 and 5 others like this.
  3. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

Wow! Permission granted!!

Rebel Outlaw, Rwb, S&W357 and 2 others like this.
  4. Handy Andy

Handy Andy Do Your Research First, Then Decide...

Gee, what about those that love what they do, so they never really have to work a day in their career?

"If you do what you love, you never work a Day in your life!"

#4 Handy Andy, Jul 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  5. Low_Boy

Low_Boy Sr. Member

Everything will be going up but our wages and bank interest. Not to the borrower.

Rwb, 144inBama, r carl and 1 other person like this.
  6. Justme

Justme Sr. Member

I have enough radio's as it is, going to sell some stuff, clearing out here.
    One good radio and one spare should do.
    If not enough, money in the savings account to buy the latest most expensive one.
    No need for that my FT991A will do just fine.

Rwb, S&W357, Holydvr and 1 other person like this.
  7. Eldorado828

Eldorado828 8-2-8 in the Lonestar State

The way it's looking if you go by ebay prices, hoarding radios right now is like hanging on to gold bars. A year or 2 down the road you'll be able to use them as a good trade.

If you've see the movie Book of Eli

This thread might just start the equivalent of the toilet paper shortage!!

Rwb, S&W357, Holydvr and 4 others like this.
  8. Crawdad

Crawdad Down in the mud invasive species

Missed that boat, dammit. More than once.

9. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

Born into one of the many families . . . instead of one of the very few families where doors to “success” are held open . . versus the appearance thereof.

10. Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna Sr. Member

Also heard today the vehicle chip shortage is expected to last into next year which means used vehicle prices are likely to continue to be crazy. Sucks as I was just starting to look at replacing my 14 year old vehicle when prices went nuts. Have to keep it running for another couple of years I guess :)

11. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

Looks like I'll be having the '99 Ranger reworked. Crate motor, rebuild the tranny, steering gear. differential. Might not cost more than just rolling the dice and starting over.

But lining up a lease vehicle to drive while it's getting rehabbed will probably be the hard part.

12. The20poundhammer

The20poundhammer Sr. Member

That Ranger will still be going after we're all gone here lol

13. Crawdad

Crawdad Down in the mud invasive species

Will still be a lot le$$ than a new Ranger. Couldn't believe how much they want for them, Holy Moly.

14. kaos513

kaos513 Sr. Member

Already did

Rwb, Rebel Outlaw and Slowmover like this.
  15. Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna Sr. Member

US consumer prices surge in June by the most since 2008

"Industry raw material inflation is more significant and sustained than originally anticipated," Sherwin-Williams CEO John Morikis said in the paint company's earnings release.

Sherwin-Williams (SHW) said it is confident it can offset higher costs through its previously-announced price hikes. "We are prepared to implement additional increases should they become necessary," Morikis said.

To mitigate the impact of rising costs, General Electric (GE) said it is raising prices "across the board" and taking other steps.

Executives at Post-It maker 3M (MMM) simply said, "We are raising prices everywhere."

“Same as everybody else, we’re seeing inflation in our business across many of our raw ingredients and some of our inputs in labor and freight and everything else,” PepsiCo chief executive Ramon Laguarta said on the company’s second-quarter earnings call July 13.

“Is there somewhat more inflation out there? There is. Are we going to be pricing to deal with it? We certainly are,” Hugh Johnston, PepsiCo’s chief financial officer, added.

Home appliances maker Whirlpool raised its prices in the face of higher raw material costs. CEO Marc Robert Bitzer said on Thursday’s earnings call that the company already started “seeing the benefits.”

“We are confident that sustained strong consumer demand and our previously announced cost-based pricing actions will offset the impact of global supply constraints and rising input costs,” Bitzer said.

We successfully established price increases that go into effect during the third quarter and provide an offset to the rising input and freight costs in the business," Hasbro CEO Brian Goldner said during the company's second-quarter earnings call on Monday.

Rwb and Shadetree Mechanic like this.