• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Gen. test

2M Guy mentioned the freq privileges for General

Paul, that is one area I stumble on. I know some but have stumbled on the practice test. So I could use any tips you have.I am also reading the ARRL book.

Thanks !

The place where I will be testing is giving tests once a month. Hopefully my test will be June 10th if I can get to the place I feel comfortable.

Ron,

I sent this to you directly but posted here for others who may find it helpful. It works and it worked for me when I took my General exam.

Many of the bands have subbands for CW or RTTY operation only, and then subbands for phone, digital, CW, etc. So how do you remember 9 new bands, with multiple freqs given for each subband band edge :shock:

Gordon West has a few memory techniques to remembering the band edges for the General Class theory test. Some listed here are my own concoction too.

On the 160 meter band the band edges are 1800 to 2000.
I use a little memory tool...16(0)=18(00), 20(00).

On the 80 meter band, the freq privileges are 3525-3750 (CW) and 3850-4000 (phone). Remember the answer with the 50-50 in it. There is a question that may be asked about CW emissions on 80/75 meters. Look for the 25-50-50 in the correct answer.

On the 40 meter band, the freqs are 7025-7150 and 7225 -7300. Here, look for the answers with the 2 25s and a 50 in them.(think 25+25=50).

30 meters is a CW & data only band. 10.100-10.150. The correct answer ends in zeros.
BTW, 30 meters is limited to 200 watts PEP, but you'll remember that since it is the only CW & data only band.

20 meters runs from 14025-14150 and 14225-14350. Look for the answer with the 25 & 50 in both sets of numbers.

17 and 12 meters are simple to remember. 18068-18168 for 17, 24890-24990 for 12 meters....just add 100 to each.

15 meters is 21025-21200 and 21300-21450. Look for the answer with 200 & 300 in it.

10 meters is 28000-29700. That should be easy to remember since we all know to stay below 28000 without a license and 29700 is the highest freq given on any answer.

If you use this when practicing the question pool, you will see these little memory tools will really help you out and may even make a guess the right answer.

I started morse but I decided to concentrate on taking my written test and get it out of the way, then all I have to do is concentrate on the code. I'm really excited about taking the test in 2 1/2 weeks !

Keep taking those online tests and get comfortable with taking the test. I was always a bit anxious before taking tests, but with the ham license tests, I was pretty relaxed and confident, thanks to the online testing and reading the ARRL and Gordon West books.

When the time comes for the code study, I think I can help you out with that, and you can have you general license before the year is out (even sooner if you want).

I am telling you Ron, once you get your general license, you will look at ham radio a bit differently and that HF rig you have will suddenly be a thousand times more useful since you will be able to transmit on other bands besides 11 meters. ;)

When the time comes for the code study, I think I can help you out with that, and you can have you general license before the year is out (even sooner if you want).

Thanks Paul ! As soon as I get this test out of the way I'm planning on diving back into the code. I think with the test done it will give me incentive to get the code learned. :)

Ron,

I tried it and you have to wait for 45 seconds for some reason.
There is a box near the top right that counts down, then it reads "click to download". There mught be a pop up that comes up over it, just close that.

It appears to be the question pool with the correct answer listed below the question.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.