• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

General AP Hill

Lazybones1222

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 6, 2005
Tampa Bay Florida
This is a virgin General AP Hill that is only 3-4 months old. It was in my pick up truck and working fine.

Last evening, after work (I work second shift - 3-11pm) I turned it on and the receive was totally quiet - no static like usual. If someone broadcasts a real strong signal cloose it will boom in. The radio will transmit fine - it almost seems like the squelch is all the way on but is not.

I always keep the squelch all the way off. The temperature dropped way down that night so I suspect it was temp. related issue and messed up a solder joint.

Any ideas?

lazyneon2.jpg
tube.gif

amontheairam8dr.png
</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p067.ezboard.com/bworldwidecbradioclub.showUserPublicProfile?gid=lazybones1222>Lazybones1222</A> at: 12/17/04 2:09 pm

This is a virgin General AP Hill that is only 3-4 months old. It was in my pick up truck and working fine.

Last evening, after work (I work second shift - 3-11pm) I turned it on and the receive was totally quiet - no static like usual. If someone broadcasts a real strong signal cloose it will boom in. The radio will transmit fine - it almost seems like the squelch is all the way on but is not.

I always keep the squelch all the way off. The temperature dropped way down that night so I suspect it was temp. related issue and messed up a solder joint.

Any ideas?

lazyneon2.jpg
tube.gif

amontheairam8dr.png
</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p067.ezboard.com/bworldwidecbradioclub.showUserPublicProfile?gid=lazybones1222>Lazybones1222</A> at: 12/17/04 2:09 pm

Yes - it stays in there 24/7. I swapped the AP Hill out with my General Lee and the Lee works fine there so it is not the amp or antenna.

What gets fried in the drive by scenoario Nomad?

lazyneon2.jpg
tube.gif

amontheairam8dr.png
</p>

Yes - it stays in there 24/7. I swapped the AP Hill out with my General Lee and the Lee works fine there so it is not the amp or antenna.

What gets fried in the drive by scenoario Nomad?

lazyneon2.jpg
tube.gif

amontheairam8dr.png
</p>

A very strong signal on the front end, but it could be ANYTHING, in the front end, IF stages, mixer, etc. Just have to trace it down one stage at a time until a noticable attenuation is noted. You also didn't tell me, but you said that it acts like the squelch is up a bit, so does it receive like normal after the signal "breaks" the squelch, or is RX low all the time? If it's low all the time, and once a signal breaks squelch, it's normal, it could be a faulty squelch amp as well. Hard to guess over a computer.

Click Here To Go To FG Best Communications

bot452026.gif
</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.