• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

General Lee vs Galaxy 979

Nick23

Desperado, 785
Aug 16, 2013
Bangor, ME
No other radio suggestions please. :) Which do you think is the better radio? Why? I've heard alot of good things about both...

That is an Apples to Oranges comparrison. One is a legal cb set that talks AM & SSB. The other is an Export radio that does more power, has more channels, echo, and is AM FM but no SSB.

That said they are both decent radio's, just depends on what channels you like to talk on and if you need SSB or not.

What all are you looking for in a radio?? How much power, SSB, other bands, and so on. This will help us help you in determining the best radio for your needs. As far as the 2 listed, one is an AM/FM radio with bands and one is a CB radio with SSB. Like posted different radios per say. The general lee will have more power and as far as audio I think a lot has to do with who does the work on the radios, there a lot of mods for the 979/959 radios, the right tech can make either of the radios you have listed have loud audio on am, but you lose ssb with one ( General lee), and the galaxy radios drift on ssb until they warm up and some still drift after that. You want a good radio that will do 50-100 watts, look at these 3 radios, optima MK3, magnum 257HP, and the Alinco sr8t, the alinco would be the best of the 3 I listed IMO as it's a real HF radio, the optima MK3 is built a bit better than the magnum 257HP, but I have not had an issue with mine so far after almost a year of daily use. The last radio would add to the list would be the uniden 980, they aren't a powerhouse but will do the job and they do sport some clean audio as well as a decent receive, you can get them at loves truck stop for $129. JMO and god bless

I recently just sold a 979 with an RFX-75, nice lil radio...same size as a 29 classic. Im currently using a Gen Lee on my base, awesome & loud audio. But, i agree on the earlier comment that there's really no comparison.

I don't care about the other frequencies. They might be nice to go on when I get bored on AM. I just want to find out if the Galaxy has audio close the the general lee. The main thing to me is the audio.

Get a radio from either DTB Radio or Doug's custom cb's. Both good techs and do amazing jobs with the 959/979 chassis radios, yes they can be made to have loud audio, but it may be at the expense of clean audio. Call or email Doug at Doug's custom cb's and he will respond and answer your questions, he does a pretty good job with those radios, he has done a few of the 959/979 galaxy radios. Like I said, yes you can get loud audio out of a galaxy radio, just send it to the proper tech and let him know what you want or if it's possible or how it ranks to the general lee. I am sure they will be able to tell you everything you need to know

If it was me and I was down for those 2 radios. It would be the 979 done by Doug's with dual final, upgraded voltage reg. it would be about the same price as the GL.
Edit: I stand corrected GL is cheaper than a 979 dual final. I would still go with the 979 as it has SSB ability and if you want down the road extra channels can be added.

DTB has what they call a big talker package. I wonder if that would make the 979 have audio close to the general lee.

Right now I just want a good AM radio to drive a small amp. I got a Cobra to do that, but a mod wasn't done properly. I plan on getting an optima for ssb in a little bit as my base. I just need to get my AM station going now.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated