• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Geocaching

Sonwatcher

Apr 6, 2005
Colorado
Anyone here do Geocaching ? I was told about this from StoneCrusher. Neat fun for the family. If you look in the "hide and seek" section on the left column of the web page below and insert your zip code no doubt there is plenty to hunt for in your area.

www.geocaching.com

My supervisor at work is heavily into geocaching. He is always talking about finding a cache or putting one out.

We just got back from finding 2 caches. It was great. The last one we had to walk about a mile up a mountain trail along a mountain stream. I took a pic of one of the falls below. It was fun ! :D

Panama, I bought a GPS off Ebay for $ 41.00 and it works great !

falls.jpg

star.jpg

My kids and I with the cache we found.

Ron i went to the url you posted,but really didn't take the time to read(lazy)What exactly is it geocaching? Would like to know more.
Stonecrusher are you a Raiders fan? My son is,sorry they lost both preseason games. :roll:
73,Stu

Novakor
The easiest way to explain it is it's like a treasure hunt and you use a GPS to find the hidden cache.....if you like to hike and just being outdoors it's a lot of fun you'll enjoy it.
And yes I'm a Raiders fan hopefully they do better than those first preseason games.......I got faith in them!!!

Stu,
People take some sort of container and put different things in it and go somewhere and hide it. With their GPS they take the reading of the location and then post info about the cache(cash) on that website, You get the readings from your location on a GPS and make a plot with the readings of the cache location posted on your GPS. They have a map posted to give a general area where it is hid. You take your GPS and follow it until you hit the readings of the cache and then HUNT. It's really neat, and fun. You take something from it if you want and generally leave something in return. There usually is a log to sign. The one pic. above included a camera to take a pic for the person to see who had found it.
I just started but StoneCrusher has found several and could share more. The website is very informative !

OK thanks guys.................cool that does sound like tons of fun.I like the outdoors as well as hiking,HT's,GPS and spending time with family.I will check out website in more detail.I noticed they had one here in Reno today,missed that one..........oh well. Once again Thanks.
73,Stu

Stonecrusher, that is the coolest avatar ever :) And don't worry about the pre-season games. When the first team was in, they looked pretty impressive.

Is it set up to be only used for GPS? Or are you able to plot a course using the old fashion map, compass and protractor?

Hey Mole thanks for the kind words. And as far the GPS goes that is the easiest way to go and you can find them on ebay for under 100.00 I image you could do it the old fashioned way but it would be quite a challenge!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.