• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

getting ready to build a Fan Dipole, not sure what bands I should cut it for

mr_fx

Oct 8, 2011
Kansas City
I am planning to get the General ticket here very soon, I know that I plan to build/use a fan dipole. However I am not sure what bands I should be focusing on.

I am running a Yaesu FT-890 with built in autotuner (good for 3:1 swr)

I know I will be interested in 80 and 10. I have heard chit chat on 40. 20 meters seems to be mentioned often. But what about 17 and 15?

I heard the 160m is a challenge to compete with natural qrm, and as such many people have told me to not bother messing with 160m unless I plan to run a lot of power, however I still find it kinda interesting.

I have an old Antron 99 that COULD be used for something, 10 meters being the most likely choice.

I mean I guess I could build a 160, 80, 40, 20, 17, 15, 12, 10 Fan Dipole.

Reactions: 1 person

Unless you plan on using an amplifier, 160 meters is rough, not saying you can not make contacts on 100 watts on phone but it will be rough.

80/40/20 fan dipole will give you four bands.
80/40/20/15 meters using the third harmonic off 40 meters to work 15 meters.

Build a second fan dipole for 10/12/17.

This will give you your WARC bands also.

Trying to put to many legs on a fan dipole can get tricky.

Ham universe has some good instructions on how to build a multi band dipole.

A 'fan' or multi-band dipole isn't a bad idea, and your 'A99' should do okay for 10 meters. As for 160, it isn't really the power that's a deciding factor it's the antenna. A 160 meter antenna is 'large'! If you have the room to put one up, then have at it. If you have to use a loaded, or otherwise 'shortened' antenna get ready for very limited contacts, they just are not very efficient at all. 160 meters isn't as 'populated' as the other bands because the antenna is simply too big for most people to manage, not too practical. The WARC bands aren't harmonically related like the other bands, so usually require separate antennas. That's not particularly 'bad', just different.
Nothing says you gotta 'do' all bands at once. Getting an antenna up for one of the bands near the WARC band is one way to listen to see if you might want to 'do' them. it isn't unusual for someone to start with one or two antennas and then 'add' to them later, that's how most people do it.
Have fun.
- 'Doc

so if I am just going to tune this using my HF rig and an SWR meter? should I just turn it down low (RF power) and key up on AM like I would on CB, OR should I try to barrow an antenna analyzer?

exam

I am planning to get the General ticket here very soon, I know that I plan to build/use a fan dipole. However I am not sure what bands I should be focusing on.

I am running a Yaesu FT-890 with built in autotuner (good for 3:1 swr)

I know I will be interested in 80 and 10. I have heard chit chat on 40. 20 meters seems to be mentioned often. But what about 17 and 15?

I heard the 160m is a challenge to compete with natural qrm, and as such many people have told me to not bother messing with 160m unless I plan to run a lot of power, however I still find it kinda interesting.

I have an old Antron 99 that COULD be used for something, 10 meters being the most likely choice.

I mean I guess I could build a 160, 80, 40, 20, 17, 15, 12, 10 Fan Dipole.

i just passed my general exam on monday. looking to buy my first hf radio.
but ma said i have to sell the cb stuff first.

I am assuming that the tricky part is in the tuning

N4UJW ANTENNA DESIGN LAB - Ham Radio Antennas - Design 0r Build Your own Ham Radio Antenna

A few links with detailed instructions.

I put my feed point 12" apart and separated them with pvc for spacers. It worked decent and was able to tune all bands that the antenna was designed for including the 15 meter band working off of the 40 meter dipole 3rd harmonic.

I made many contacts with that fan dipole and I have one here for 20/40/80 meters.

If you can get it high enough you can work good DX on 40 meters.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned