• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Getting solder to stick to a board that it completey came off

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
I have a uniden pc-78 that Im tring to repair the polarity was crossed with NO FUSE INLINE!!!! Why anyone would run any radio this way is beyond me but anyways the traces surprisingly were all ok but the 1969 final was so burnt it is cracked right down the center heres the problem im having where one of the legs for the transistor was soldered to the boar all the solder stayed on the leg and I cant get any solder to stick how is this done??

Are you sure there is still something to solder to on the board?

Sometimes the end of the trace will lift with excessive heat.

Get some contact cleaner in there, then dry it up.

Use a tiny bit of paste flux (for electronics, not plumbing solder). Heat it up and apply some new solder.

Clean the flux off with contact cleaner again.

I have a uniden pc-78 that Im tring to repair the polarity was crossed with NO FUSE INLINE!!!! Why anyone would run any radio this way is beyond me but anyways the traces surprisingly were all ok but the 1969 final was so burnt it is cracked right down the center heres the problem im having where one of the legs for the transistor was soldered to the boar all the solder stayed on the leg and I cant get any solder to stick how is this done??

sounds like the trace has been fried off from where the leg of the transistor goes , look closely , you should see where it ends and goes , you can jump it to where the trace ends , if that's case , it's hard playing the guessing game without seeing it with my own eye's. If the trace is gone ? solder has nothing to stick to , you can also lightly scrape a covered trace with a exacto knife to bring up the copper side of the trace , then the solder will have something to stick to.(traces are like wire with there jackets on and they can be lightly striped as well ) I've seen radios fried where traces were burnt right off the boards , this is where jumpers come in to replace the fried traces.

tony,

solder a short piece of wire to the leg of the new transistor, and heat shrink tube it.
mount the transistor in place, solder on the two other legs, then solder the wire to the component lead closest to the trace that was damaged.

its simpler than i made it sound.LOL
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.