1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Glitch in the matrix on FT8

Discussion in 'General Ham Radio Discussion' started by KD2GOE, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

I am all for digital modes, computer to computer too. If it will lessen our dependency on any form of land lines it is good.

2. KD2GOE

KD2GOE W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

I run it when I am just board and I dont feal like talking.
    I have not had much luck with voice this year.
    I was messing around with FSK/RTTY a few days ago but no luck..

FT8 is one of them modes where it would be useless if there was every an emercy. Soon as you lose any kind of synchronization from the internet the mode becomes completely useless in emergencies or any kind of communication.
    I could see why people can think it's the cancer of radio but as long as it keeps people using the radio waves it I'm okay with it..

Not like CW or RTTY..

#17 KD2GOE, Jun 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  3. Alan Blackmon

Alan Blackmon Well-Known Member

I have been running FT8 and really enjoy it. Wasn't sure I would but turns out I was wrong. I use psk reporter to see how well I might be getting out. Noticed a report section for 11 meters. I know 11 meters is more common outside the US but boy wouldn't it be fun if we could try it her in the states on 11m? Anyway I learned how to get it hooked up to my radio and it has been a blast.

KD2GOE and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  4. KD2GOE

KD2GOE W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Yeah i use pskreporter it is sweet..
    lol just start Blasting FT8 on Ch 40 with your CB handle this is a FT8 11 meter freq now move out!

Shadetree Mechanic and binrat like this.
  5. Road Squawker

Road Squawker Sr. Member

Soometimes that will happen,...it is affected by your decode settings

6. SIX-SHOOTER

SIX-SHOOTER Sr. Member

I do some DMR VOICE & D-STAR Voice but I don't allow my computer to do any contacts.All of my Amateur Radio Communications are on Voice/Phone It is worse than boring to me when I can't understand what is being said without reading it on a screen. I can do that here or when texting on my iPhone but I want voices talking to me on the radio.

SIX-SHOOTER

7. SIX-SHOOTER

SIX-SHOOTER Sr. Member

OK,I HATE CW as well.I Passed the 5 wpm Code Test when I upgraded to General before the FCC started giving the General Class away.I passed with Straight Copy but I have less than ZERO use for CW just like Digital modes that that don't use Voice.I hope that is what you were looking for since I am here to make others happy.

SIX-SHOOTER