• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

GMRS or MURS?

ak rover

Jan 31, 2011
Soldotna, Alaska
So I am trying to decide whether to go with GMRS or MURS radios. I have read all the rules with both bands and understand the differences between them. I hold a GMRS license so I can legally operate on GMRS at max power. Just looking for opinions of which everyone would choose if forced to choose only one.

A side question, is there any way to know if a radio is or isn't certificated to TX on GMRS or MURS frequencies? I see a lot of radios that say they are capable of TXing on those frequency ranges but never mentions anything specific about being certificated.

If you have a GMRS licence you are better off using GMRS I M O, more watts ,repeaters ,murs is only 2 watts I believe but probably less traffic on that band and I don't think repeaters are allowed .

How far are you wanting to communicate and what is your terrain like? Also, do you know if there are any GMRS repeaters in your area?

A side question, is there any way to know if a radio is or isn't certificated to TX on GMRS or MURS frequencies?

Yep, the radio will be marketed as a legit GMRS or MURS radio. It will have an FCC certification on the package. If it's a Chinese or Ham radio being sold as "capable", then it is most likely not legal to transmit on those bands with it.

How far are you wanting to communicate and what is your terrain like? Also, do you know if there are any GMRS repeaters in your area?
I'm not looking for super long range. Mainly I am looking for is a mobile to mount in my truck to communicate with friends in other vehicles or on foot. I'm in Alaska so there's mountains everywhere. Most of where I go is in the valleys between the mountains. I have only found one repeater listed in the state of Alaska and it's a long way from where I live and explore.

Yep, the radio will be marketed as a legit GMRS or MURS radio. It will have an FCC certification on the package. If it's a Chinese or Ham radio being sold as "capable", then it is most likely not legal to transmit on those bands with it.
I am studying for my ham test currently. I want to keep my radios legal so I won't be using a ham radio for GMRS. Even though I wouldn't to avoid it I have resigned myself to either have to have a handheld GMRS or a third mobile radio in the truck along with the ham radio and CB. I keep looking at mobile radios, primarily commercial type UHF, but haven't seen any that say GMRS certificated.

I'm not looking for super long range. Mainly I am looking for is a mobile to mount in my truck to communicate with friends in other vehicles or on foot. I'm in Alaska so there's mountains everywhere. Most of where I go is in the valleys between the mountains. I have only found one repeater listed in the state of Alaska and it's a long way from where I live and explore.

I am studying for my ham test currently. I want to keep my radios legal so I won't be using a ham radio for GMRS. Even though I wouldn't to avoid it I have resigned myself to either have to have a handheld GMRS or a third mobile radio in the truck along with the ham radio and CB. I keep looking at mobile radios, primarily commercial type UHF, but haven't seen any that say GMRS certificated.

I might be wrong about this, but commercial gear that is legal for GMRS might not say specifically GMRS. Rather it would be both part 90 and part 95 certificated.

i would use MURS. and, i wouldn't worry about the legalities of the power and using a type certified radio. who cares, honestly? get a nice 2m mobile and MARS mod it and then get a business band antenna and you're in business. (y)

i would use MURS. and, i wouldn't worry about the legalities of the power and using a type certified radio. who cares, honestly? get a nice 2m mobile and MARS mod it and then get a business band antenna and you're in business. (y)

I care about the legal issues. If I didn't care about the legal issues I wouldn't still be asking questions about this. As I'm sure you realize I asked a very similar question on the other forum. Part of what I do and want to get more involved in is search and rescue and I really don't want to be running illegal equipment while dealing with the state troopers and EMS. I will also use the radios for my own personal exploring.

MURS has it's advantages since VHF does have better range than UHF, everything else being equal. But I can legally run a little more power on GMRS and there are a lot more GMRS radios in use than MURS.

I might be wrong about this, but commercial gear that is legal for GMRS might not say specifically GMRS. Rather it would be both part 90 and part 95 certificated.

According to MURS Radio - www.murs-radio.com
There are currently two types of radio equipment that is allowed to be operated on MURS frequencies:

1) Any radio that is specifically certified for use in MURS according to Part 95 Section J, or,

2) Any radio that complies with all of the following:

a) currently certified for Part 90 operation and was certified prior to November 12, 2002
b) has a transmitter power output of 2 watts maximum
c) has no provision to increase power above the 2 watt maximum
d) complies with the bandwidth requirements of the MURS allocations:
i) maximum transmitter bandwidth not exceeding 20 kHz on the two 154 MHz frequencies
ii) maximum transmitter bandwidth not exceeding 11.25 kHz on the three 151 MHz frequencies

MURS radios type #1 is limited to newer production models certified after November 12, 2002 and must be Part 95 certified.

MURS radios type #2 includes some older commercial radios that comply with a, b, c, & d. If the radio only operates on the 154 MHz frequencies, it can comply with d (i) only. If the radio operates on both 151 and 154 MHz frequencies, the radio must comply with both d (i) and d (ii).

Haven't found anything that spells things out quite that clearly for GMRS.

Trying to communicate between mountains in the valleys via radio is difficult on VHF/UHF without repeaters. It sounds to me like GMRS might suit you better for most of your use because of the increased power levels, but there will be holes in the communications capabilities. Depending on where you are in Alaska, you also have to worry about the Line C restrictions. If you can convince your buddies that you want to communicate with to get their ham license, that opens up a whole new set of possibilities.

Trying to communicate between mountains in the valleys via radio is difficult on VHF/UHF without repeaters. It sounds to me like GMRS might suit you better for most of your use because of the increased power levels, but there will be holes in the communications capabilities. Depending on where you are in Alaska, you also have to worry about the Line C restrictions. If you can convince your buddies that you want to communicate with to get their ham license, that opens up a whole new set of possibilities.

I'm in southcentral Alaska (Kenai Peninsula) so Line C restrictions will not be an issue. I realize that communication in valleys will be challenging and getting out of the valley on VHF or UHF will be difficult to impossible. I am looking for the best possible communication with others in the same valley and I agree that GMRS with a higher power mobile is the way to go. I also know that I will never cover all the holes in communication without a radio dedicated to each band so I'm trying to cover as much as possible and try not to have to rely on handheld radios in the truck.

I care about the legal issues. If I didn't care about the legal issues I wouldn't still be asking questions about this. As I'm sure you realize I asked a very similar question on the other forum. Part of what I do and want to get more involved in is search and rescue and I really don't want to be running illegal equipment while dealing with the state troopers and EMS. I will also use the radios for my own personal exploring.

MURS has it's advantages since VHF does have better range than UHF, everything else being equal. But I can legally run a little more power on GMRS and there are a lot more GMRS radios in use than MURS.

i doubt a state trooper is going to approach you in the middle of a search and rescue mission to question your equipment. most cops wouldn't know the difference between a cobra 19 and yaesu 9000 anyway. oh well, to each their own.

i would tend to agree with..Not worrying about legalities..
for in a search and rescue having the best tools possible is what gets the job done (recovery in your case)

However..
i do understand wanting to remain Legal..
as such..

Although MURS/VHF has advantages..in general..
However the lack of allowed power makes it extremely short range
(at best and should not be strongly considered in your case)

Now..

Regarding GMRS..
You have legal ability to use far more power..
Just as importantly (if not more so ) is the ability to use repeaters..

However..

Your stating your interest in Ham radio..
Now that Truly would open up good possibilities for you ..

The only concern however is that the others who are working with you are also licensed..

Then you could use both ham and GMRS..

Ham radio would even give you HF (not just VHF & UHF)

Given you are to use this in of all places Alaska..
Communications are Extremely Important..
Alaska is a land that truly Tests the limits and abilities of communications..

As such..you need every possible advantage you can obtain

i would tend to agree with..Not worrying about legalities..
for in a search and rescue having the best tools possible is what gets the job done (recovery in your case)

However..
i do understand wanting to remain Legal..
as such..

Although MURS/VHF has advantages..in general..
However the lack of allowed power makes it extremely short range
(at best and should not be strongly considered in your case)

Now..

Regarding GMRS..
You have legal ability to use far more power..
Just as importantly (if not more so ) is the ability to use repeaters..

However..

Your stating your interest in Ham radio..
Now that Truly would open up good possibilities for you ..

The only concern however is that the others who are working with you are also licensed..

Then you could use both ham and GMRS..

Ham radio would even give you HF (not just VHF & UHF)

Given you are to use this in of all places Alaska..
Communications are Extremely Important..
Alaska is a land that truly Tests the limits and abilities of communications..

As such..you need every possible advantage you can obtain

Thanks for the input. Alaska does indeed test everything to the extreme. If it's not the terrain causing issues it's weather.

I am probably a little off in my reasoning for wanting to remain legal. I agree that the troopers probably wouldn't say anything about my radios during a search and rescue/recovery, unless of course it is causing problems with other radios.

The GMRS mobile in the truck is a nicety, not a necessity. I'll have ham radio as my primary and CB as secondary means of communication. The GMRS is just to avoid trying to use a handheld while driving.

No Problem..

I did forget to mention CB..
given it falls in HF band...it can and has some advantages..

Still...Greatly out weighed by Ham radio or GMRS when used with repeaters

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.