• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Going Portable with KX3

BenMara

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Jan 16, 2013
SC swamplands
So im going portable with my KX3, plan to purchase KXPA100 early next year. Currently have a 20m vertical sota antenna. Plan to make a 80m dipole fed with 450ohm to carry along.

What balun ratio would i need? Some locals say 1:1, others say 9:1...

What other odds and ends would you carry?

Minimal pack would be just KX3 and some sort of light weight vertical.
Max pack would be in a dedicated day pack (KXPA100, battery, ect..)

The KX3 and KXPA100 would be my mobile setup with some sort of screwdriver antenna...

I have a KX2 for my SOTA adventures. I use a few antennas but the best is random wire, 58' with 13' counterpoise. Both are elevated almost like a "v" configuration. Internal tuner tunes 10-80 metres.

I totally agree... but i just love resonant antennas
Thats why i have a 20m vertical sota antenna that weight under 1.5 lbs, but i love lower bands..

For the pack antenna with ladder line, I would just forget the balun unless your field testing with the antenna shows that you absolutely need it to get a good match. I'd start with a BNC/Banana plug adapters and let the internal tuner (which is amazing) do its thing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BNC-Male-P...pid=16024417993&hash=item2cd932d69d:rk:1:pf:0

If that doesn't work to your liking, then I'd consider the Buddipole Triple Ratio Switch balun, which is small and lightweight and also has BNC connectors. It switches between 1:1, 2:1, and 4:1 ratios and will do the trick if needed. I have one of these in by toolbox and find that it really is a nice accessory.

Reactions: BenMara and binrat

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.