• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Gone nuts

Went nuts part deaux, the dousherry got the better of me and I went ahead and removed the tiny jumper using a fat mashed up tip soldering iron. I just couldn't wait one more day for the right tools to arrive could I?
I tell you one thing, that resistor, diode, jumper whatever its called is much smaller in real life than the pics ive seen on the web. Removed the cable and ribbons, then disintegrated the part and perhaps the trace on the circuit board also, pics posted for your amusement. And no, i did not touch any pots or other items to " improve powah" lol or modulation etc.
Had a brown pants moment when my first key up shut the cb down, basically cigar plug adaptor which is soldered to and heat shrined to the power leads only had a 2A fuse installed which blew. Changed it to 7.5A and all seems to be okay thus far.

If theres anyone who can read schematics better than me perhaps be kind enough to advice on what them damaged traces on the circuit board feed / do. Its the black smudge area in pic which looks like two tracks traces are used.

Thank you.

IMG_20170602_192520.jpg

Went nuts part deaux, the dousherry got the better of me and I went ahead and removed the tiny jumper using a fat mashed up tip soldering iron. I just couldn't wait one more day for the right tools to arrive could I?
I tell you one thing, that resistor, diode, jumper whatever its called is much smaller in real life than the pics ive seen on the web. Removed the cable and ribbons, then disintegrated the part and perhaps the trace on the circuit board also, pics posted for your amusement. And no, i did not touch any pots or other items to " improve powah" lol or modulation etc.
Had a brown pants moment when my first key up shut the cb down, basically cigar plug adaptor which is soldered to and heat shrined to the power leads only had a 2A fuse installed which blew. Changed it to 7.5A and all seems to be okay thus far.

If theres anyone who can read schematics better than me perhaps be kind enough to advice on what them damaged traces on the circuit board feed / do. Its the black smudge area in pic which looks like two tracks traces are used.

Thank you.

View attachment 20834
I know less about this stuff then anyone. And I mean anyone! But changing out a 2 amp fuse for a 7.5 one doesn't seem like a good idea. I just discovered why my palomar 300a's meter light and tubes were intermittently cutting out. The fuse in the power supply was toasted from heat.i changed it out to a new one and got lucky. Beyond that I send everything out. Many experts on this site and I'm sure they'll advise you. It's a nice rig and hope you get many years of trouble free use. Hope to hear you on air. 11 meters of course. 73

I know less about this stuff then anyone. And I mean anyone! But changing out a 2 amp fuse for a 7.5 one doesn't seem like a good idea. I just discovered why my palomar 300a's meter light and tubes were intermittently cutting out. The fuse in the power supply was toasted from heat.i changed it out to a new one and got lucky. Beyond that I send everything out. Many experts on this site and I'm sure they'll advise you. It's a nice rig and hope you get many years of trouble free use. Hope to hear you on air. 11 meters of course. 73

I changed the fuse in the cigar plug end since anything over 1/4 dial on rf power would blow fuse, i think the fuse was too low for the power output of the rig. The draw was too much for 2A fuse.
Im going to wire it to battery directly soon. The stock vehicle cigar 12v socket has some seriously thin wires pluged into it.

Reactions: Sonar
I changed the fuse in the cigar plug end since anything over 1/4 dial on rf power would blow fuse, i think the fuse was too low for the power output of the rig. The draw was too much for 2A fuse.
Im going to wire it to battery directly soon. The stock vehicle cigar 12v socket has some seriously thin wires pluged into it.
It goes to show how little I know. I hope you have a great time with that setup. I'd like to listen for you. What's your qth and handel/call sign? Triple 1 on SSB and food stamp on AM (NJ). Good luck my friend. Joejoe.

It goes to show how little I know. I hope you have a great time with that setup. I'd like to listen for you. What's your qth and handel/call sign? Triple 1 on SSB and food stamp on AM (NJ). Good luck my friend. Joejoe.

Actually as a CB user im at the lowest knowledge wise, real life example: you mentioned SSB, but i wouldn't know as of yet where to go to find you for example. I was figuring a frequency needs to be set on the CB doh ;-) but that's about it. Watching videos on YouTube to learn more. I go by frederickdawg on cb for my callname.

Just wanted to mention as much as they charge for this radio you'd think they could have painted rhe covers a bit better. Straight out of the box all the edges had paint missing, and the bracket its supplied with is so sharp and tight that it scuffs the case when mounted .

IMG_20170602_180131.jpg IMG_20170602_180143.jpg IMG_20170602_180203.jpg IMG_20170602_180203.jpg IMG_20170602_180323.jpg IMG_20170603_124817.jpg IMG_20170603_124810.jpg

Actually as a CB user im at the lowest knowledge wise, real life example: you mentioned SSB, but i wouldn't know as of yet where to go to find you for example. I was figuring a frequency needs to be set on the CB doh ;-) but that's about it. Watching videos on YouTube to learn more. I go by frederickdawg on cb for my callname.
Unfortunately the best frequency when DX is happening is channel 38 lower sideband. It seems as if all the ones who insist on ruining it for the most part come from a couple of particular states. When those States aren't coming in to NJ, channel 38 LSb isn't that bad and a quick contact or short qso (conversation) is possible. It's fairly straigth forward. Just call cq DX cq DX Fredrickdawg Cincinnati standing by. If you hear a particular station calling: 'cq DX triple one NJ standing by" you would say triple one Fredrickdawg north Carolina call" and if I hear you I'll call back. Don't drive yourself crazy it's very casual on CB. Amateur radio might be a bit stringent when calling but as I said CB is very casual. If you decide to use channels above 40 you'll notice it's a less quieter but don't let that fool you. It's always a good idea to call CQ dxing qdx and your handle and qth on a frequency that you don't hear somebody on. You'd be surprised. There's usually someone listening and waiting for just that call. Above the allocated 40 channels on SSB is a much easier place to have a qso (conversation) Giving a station report on their signal and audio is a good way to start a conversation. Asking the other station what their operating conditions (radio setup) is also a good way to start a qso. After that you'll see the qso grow and will eventually wind up with you having a very enjoyable experience. Don't hesitate to key the mic and talk. It's a very enjoyable hobby. Stay away from trouble makers. You'll know right away who they are. Don't get dragged into a CB radio back and forth with some idiot who's insulting you family or calling into question one's sexually. It's the biggest tool the trouble making trollers use in their Arsenal to drag you into an on air fight. It's a wast of radio time. There is a very good saying in the radio world. Don't cry qsy (qsy=change the channel) it's the best defense for not wasting your radio time. There's stations waiting to be contacted between 27.365 - 27.995 on SSB. If you go about 27.515 LSb it's a good idea to flip over to USB (upper sideband) most people operating above 27.515 are on USB but that doesn't mean USB (upper sideband) isn't used below that frequency because it is but noas much. Good luck. 73

Reactions: Limeybastard
That stryker should have come with protective film the covers and faceplate, and also some rubber pads to stick inside the bracket. At least mine did a few years back.

That stryker should have come with protective film the covers and faceplate, and also some rubber pads to stick inside the bracket. At least mine did a few years back.
The unit has the clear film on front fasia panel, also oh that's what those pads in the bag are for? Lol

There was no protective film on the black steel case, like what the Galaxy radios have. The quality insides more than compensates for the shit black panel paintwork which doesnt seem to adhere.

I don't have the schematic for your radio but I can tell you this, that trace is needed. You can fix it if you have a very light touch. Clear the solder mask off(The Green stuff) of the traces scraping with an EXacto knife. Flow a little solder on each trace end and then place a small gauge bare solid wire and solder on one trace end. Shape the wire so it is free and clear of any other traces then solder the remaining end to the other end of the trace. Pretrim the wire after you have it laid out so you don't have to cut it after soldering. You could damage the trace you just repaired.
I hope this helps.

So i select chan 40 for example, then use coars or clarification knob to dial up or down the frequency on chan 40 whilst in usb or lsb?
Set your mode switch to LSB and your frequency counter to 27.378500. Center your clarifier. You have the HP version of the 955 right? Power adjustments are not needed.

Just a word of caution: You have a radio that can get you into a lot of trouble. You can get in frequencies which require you to have an Amateur radio license to transmit on.
Be sure you know what you are doing before you key up your radio.

Last edited:
Reactions: Limeybastard
I don't have the schematic for your radio but I can tell you this, that trace is needed. You can fix it if you have a very light touch. Clear the solder mask off(The Green stuff) of the traces scraping with an EXacto knife. Flow a little solder on each trace end and then place a small gauge bare solid wire and solder on one trace end. Shape the wire so it is free and clear of any other traces then solder the remaining end to the other end of the trace. Pretrim the wire after you have it laid out so you don't have to cut it after soldering. You could damage the trace you just repaired.
I hope this helps.

Thanks for advice, im not going to rework those two or one tracks/traces unlese they are truly broken. Which i guess i wont know until i get the schematic analyzed which is beyond my scope. If I'm lucky it may just be surface burn and no cuts.

Heres the schematic

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/stryker/sr_955hpc/

Set your mode switch to LSB and your frequency counter to 27.378500. Center your clarifier. You have the HP version of the 955 right? Power adjustments are not needed.

Just a word of caution: You have a radio that can get you into a lot of trouble. You can get in frequencies which require you to have an Amateur radio license to transmit on.
Be sure you know what you are doing before you key up your radio.

I'll try that next time I'm in the car. Wish i could use it in the house also, more comfortable than sitting in vehicle and learning.

Perhapa get a temp home antenna? I have a 12v dc 30 amp supply already.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.